Crimson Favored In Penn Relays

The Harvard Track team's hard core flies to Philadelphia today to take part in the umpteenth annual menagerie known as the Penn Relays. Fast-developing hurdler Frank Haggerty and a trio of quarters will be wearing the Crimson in Franklin Field before the massacre of Dartmouth's team here tomorrow.

Haggerty will compete against the East's best in the 440 intermediate hurdles. Running in a special mile relay against the other Heptagonal schools will be a Harvard team of Jeff Huvelle, Frank Snowden, Bob Cook, and Dave McKelvey.

Facing open competition in the medley relay will be Tom Callahan, running an 880; Trey Burns, sprinting the quarter; Jim Baker, handling the unusual three quarter mile distance; and anchorman Dick Howe, finishing with a mile.

The Big Four heavies -- Ron Wilson, Dick Benka, Charlie Ajootian, and Bruce Hedendal -- will put, spin, and heave in their specialties.

It is a long trip, but every now and then something rewarding comes of it. Last year in the mile relay, McKelvey dropped the baton in the first leg but kept on running -- and Harvard recovered in time to beat Penn.