Track Team Nips Yale, 80-74, on Late Surge

Wilson Wins Hammer Toss

Harvard scored 22 of the last 28 points to squeak out an 80-74 victory over the Yale track team Tuesday. In the last event, Walt Campbell's fourth throw of the javelin moved him from fourth to first place and clinched the victory for the Crimson.

The 400-yard relay team of Andy Cahners, Bill Jewett, Randy Thompson, and Wayne Anderson scored Harvard's key victory. Running second leg, sophomore Jewett burst into a decisive lead and wrapped up the five-point victory.

Harvard's final surge began with nine points in the two-mile. Scrappy Doug Hardin led the Crimson sweep and broke the back of Yale's Frank Shorter with a strong move into the wind with two laps to go. One lap remaining, Harvard's Jim Baker began to move on Shorter from 25 yards back. Surprisingly, Shorter dropped out, leaving Yale with no runners in the race, and no points.

Harvard moved into an early lead with 1-2 finishes in the hammer and the discus. Ron Wilson's 185-foot hammer throw and Charley Ajootian's 176-foot toss were the top field performances of the day. Bruce Hedendahl and Dick Benka, the Crimson's two other beefmen, kept pace by taking 1-2 in the discus.

In the 440-yard hurdles, senior Andy Cahners came from five yards back to nail Yale's Fred Moore at the tape, taking second. Harvard's Frank Haggerty came in first.

In the mile Harvard's Jim Baker ran a quick 3:02 three-quarters to build up an almost insurmountable 70-yard lead over Yale's Steve Bittner. But 200 yards from the tape, Baker hit a series of brick walls and crept in third, behind Bittner and Harvard's Dick Howe.

Harvard's Trey Burns won the halfmile with sophomore Tom Callahan second.

Steve Schoonover in the pole vault and captain Wayne Anderson in the 100-yard dash scored the other Harvard victories.

Harvard's win tied the dual meet series at 34 wins apiece. Yale has led since 1913.