Whiff'n Punch from Peters, Lord Give Crimson Nine 2-1 Yale Win

Carter Lord's run-scoring singles in the third and seventh innings were the extent of Harvard's attack, but pitching star Ray Peters made them stand up for a tight 2-1 win over Yale at Splinter Stadium Saturday. The bespectacled giant, keeping the Yalie batters on edge with a hopping fast ball and a touch of wildness, wound up with a season high of 16 strikeouts.

Peters allowed Yale three of its four hits, one of its three walks, a hit batsman, and its lone run -- along with Harvard's only two errors -- in three final frames that threatened to turn the game around. At one point in the seventh, Peters was ready to be relieved, but Coach Norm Shepard stayed with the big righthander and saw him fan the final two batters with two men on in the ninth.

Lord's single to center drove Bob Cunningham in from second with the ice-breaker in the third. Cunningham, who started at shortstop in place of slumping Phil Smith, had singled to left following an Eli error and moved to second on a fielder's choice.

The winning run in the seventh came with two down. Rightfielder Dan Hootstein singled and went to second when the Eli centerfielder booted the ball. Lord, the Crimson's only 300 hitter, delivered the tally with a drive to left.

Harvard's only other threats came in the first, when Bill Cobb singled and Lord walked, and in the fourth, when Joe O'Donnell singled and Neit Houston walked.

Yale's brighest moment came in the eighth when a single and two errors by second baseban Houston loaded the bases with two outs. A pitch by Peters nicked Bill Von Koch to drive in a run, but Peters struck out Yale's cleanup man, Ed Goldstone, to end the inning.

The first two Bulldogs up in the ninth got hits, but a fly ball and two strikeouts wrapped up the victory.   HARVARD  YALE   ab  r  h  bi  ab  r  h  bi Cobb  4  0  1  0  Bower  3  0  0  0 C'ng'm  4  1  1  0  Koch  1  0  0  1 Hoot'n  4  1  1  0  G'stne  4  0  1  0 Lord  3  0  2  2  Sh'ky  4  0  1  0 Hall  4  0  0  0  S'ski  4  0  0  0 K'gn's  3  0  0  0  Sear  2  0  0  0 O'Die  4  0  1  0  Wrght  1  1  1  0 Hous'n  2  0  0  0  Kenney  2  0  0  0 P'trs  3  0  0  0  St'pns  2  0  0  0 Totals  31  2  6  2  Totals  31  1  4  1