Bill Giving New Graduates a Vote In Overseers' Election Proposed

By Emily A. Spieler

Harvard officials testified yesterday in favor of a bill that would allow new graduates to vote immediately in the election of the Board of Overseers. Sergant Kennedy '28, Secretary of the Board of Overseers, presented the bill at a hearing of the State Committee on Education.

Under an 1865 ruling, graduates must wait five years before they can vote in the overseers election. The board's chief function is to approve appointments made by the President and Fellows of the University. It consists of 30 alumni -- five elected after each commencement for a six-year term.

Before 1865, only those physically present in the Yard on the afternoon of commencement could vote for overseers. The older alumni were afraid the new graduates would swamp the election, so they instituted the five-year waiting period.

Voting by mail was introduced in 1921, and the original reason behind the five-year wait disappeared. No policy change was made at that time.

In recent years, there have been increased complaints from alumni who feel that the present rule discourages participation in alumni activities and inhibits fund raising.

Since Harvard operates under a special charter granted before the development of standard incorporation procedure, the University must go back to the legislature to make changes.

The five-year rule is the last area of the Commonwealth's official influence in Harvard affairs.