Maintenance Workers Authorize Union Officials to Call Strike

Want Harvard to Negotiate With New Representative

By Paul J. Corkery

Another strike against the University was authorized last night.

Members of Buildings and Grounds Maintenance Association gave their officers permission to strike the University "at the officers' discretion."

Such a strike, if called, would mean an end to most of the groundskeeping, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work done by Buildings and Grounds. Major construction projects, food deliveries, and the University's dining halls could also be shut down since these are serviced by AFL-CIO labor and the B&G strike would be under AFL-CIO sanction.

When and if the BGMA men will walk out depends upon events in the next day or two. At issue is Harvard's failure to recognize the Boston Crafts Maintenance Council as the bargaining agent for the BGMA. The BGMA transferred its bargaining powers to the Council last December. But a third union, the Building Services Employees International, also claims to represent the BGMA workers. Harvard insists that it is unable to determine who actually does represent the B&G workers and has broken off all contract negotiations.

Many labor observers in the Boston area feel that the Building Services Employees Union has no real basis for its claim and that the Crafts Maintenance Council is the duly authorized bargaining agent for the B&G men.

"We would like to give the University another chance to recognize the Crafts Maintenance Council before going out," Robert Richardson, president of the BGMA, said last night. He said that his men would report for work today, but that if the University does not offer to recognize the Crafts Maintenance Council "soon" a strike will be called. "Soon" could mean today, tomorrow or next week, Richardson said. "It all depends on the University," he added.

The strike authorization is not a bluff, Richardson said. "We'll give them [Harvard] a fair chance," he said, "but we're dead serious. If the University persists we are going out."

Harvard apparently doesn't believe the Union is bluffing, either. Yesterday it ordered the B&G men to begin setting up the sound and lighting systems in the Yard for Commencement. This work, which is done by the BGMA men, usually does not begin until June.

Last night's authorization came on a 141-109 vote. There was no discussion; the members merely came to the voting place at the Stephen James House in North Cambridge and cast their ballots.

Harvard has been plagued with labor trouble lately. On Monday, workers at the Printing Office (not the University Press) walked out in a dispute over negotiations.