Track Squad Will Attempt To Upset Undefeated Army

Undefeated Army will try to gain its first outdoor victory over Harvard since 1964 when it clashes with the Crimson trackmen Saturday at Soldiers Field. Army has the best dual-meet squad in the East, but Harvard is given a good chance to register an upset.

Last year, Heptagonal champion Army jumped out to a commanding 61-48 lead over Harvard. After three cadet halfmilers went under 1:52 to score 9 of those points, one Army runner consoled nearby Crimson men by pointing to Harvard's decisive win over Army that winter. Forty minutes later Harvard stunned everyone by eking out a 79-75 victory.

To repeat that victory Harvard must finally hit its peak. Army showed few weaknesses in winning its third-straight Heptagonal championship last week.

The strengths of the two teams are matched in almost every event. In the hammer, Crimson junior Ron Wilson is nearing the 190-foot range occupied by Army captain John Graham, and sophomore Charley Ajootian can match cadet Larry Hart in a battle for third.

Army's Dan Seebart won two gold medals in the Heps, but Crimson sophomores Dick Benka in the shot put and Bruce Hedendahl in the discus were breathing down his neck.

Crimson captain Wayne Andersen has a good chance to reverse his losses to Army's Van Evans in the dashes. Also threatening Evans will be sophomore Bill Jewett in the 100 and senior Joe Sam Robinson in the 220.

The half-mile should see a furious battie between Greg Camp and Jon Nolan of Army and Trey Burns and Tom Callahan for Harvard. Camp and Burns traded victories this winter.

Army-milers Jim Warner (4:06) and Bob MacDonald (4:04 this winter) look like good bets, but Jim Baker, Doug Hardin, and Dick Howe could pull out a victory for the Crimson in either the mile or two mile.

Steve Schoonover in the pole vault and Frank Haggerty in the 440 hurdles are favored over strong cadet opponents. In the 440, Dave McKelvey, Jeff Huvelle, and Frank Snowden give Harvard its best chance for a sweep. Harvard's 440 and mile relay teams are Hep champs but will face tough challenges from the cadets.

At least 11 of the 18 events must be called toss-ups, and the scrambles in those events should make the meet one of the best in the East this year.

Field events begin at 12 noon and the running events at 1 p.m. in Soldiers Field.