Huvelle, Gonzalez, Sullivan, Nicosia, Keefe Named Captains

Track

Middle-distance runner Jeff Huvelle was elected captain of the indoor and outdoor track teams before Sunday night's track banquet. A graduate of Phillips Academy, where he set records that still stand, Huvelle concentrates on the 600-yard run in the winter and the 440 in the spring.

The Litchfield, Conn. resident became the third freshman in Harvard history 'o hold a University record when he ran the 600 in 1:10.9 his rookie season. In his second year he was timed in 48.1 for the 440, .1 off the still standing varsity standard.

Huvelle has also been a member of record-setting one-mile and two-mile relay teams. He performed his first official function as captain yesterday afternoon by not showing up for the team picture.

Also at the banquet, senior Andy Cahners was awarded the William Nelson Unsung Hero trophy. Improvement awards went to a fleet of distance men, Jim Baker, Doug Hardin, and Spider McLoone. Other recipients of track silverware were Wayne Anderson. Dave McKelvey, Randy Thompson, Bill Jewett, Ron Wilson, Dick Benka, Frank Haggerty, and Steve Schoonover.

Tennis

The tennis team elected Jose Gonzalez, a classmate of Huvelle's at Andover, to lead the 1968 squad. Playing at number five for the past two seasons, the talented racketman from Santurce, Puerto Rico, has been one of the Crimson's most dependable performers.

Gonzalez was slowed down this year by an ankle injury that forced him to miss the Southern trip, and he lost the first two singles matches of his Harvard career.

An outstanding doubles player, he teamed with senior Dave Hodges to go undefeated at third doubles and has lost only one tandem match in two years.

The John M. Barnaby Award went to Hodges. One of Harvard's hardest workers, he complemented his fine doubles play this season with a long climb up the singles ladder that brought him to the number six position for the Yale match.

Lacrosse

Sophomore midfielder Tom Nicosia of Manhasset, Long Island, who almost singlehandedly engineered the lacrosse team's come-from behind victory over Yale, has been elected captain of the 1968 squad.

The first sophomore to be so honored in recent years, the diminutive Nicosia -- only 5-7, 165 lbs. -- was the big man in the late season success of the Crimson stickmen. He ended up the third high scorer on the team, playing most of the year on the second line with Jim Kilkowski and Tom Engel.

Rick Loomis, a senior defenseman, was awarded the Class of 1959 Trophy, given each year to the outstanding senior on the squad.

Golf

Bob Keefe, who lettered in football, basketball, and baseball at Arlington High and Phillips Exeter, was elected captain of the Harvard golf team yesterday. The stocky junior, who played at number two this spring in his first year on the varsity, has been golfing seriously for less than three years.

Keefe won the Greater Boston Championship with a 76 and had a 10-4 record in team play. He will spend the summer playing in tournaments, mostly in the East, in preparation for what he expects will be Harvard's first undefeated season ever.

Lightweight Crew

Brian Sullivan, who entered Harvard with no experience in crew and has turned into one of the greatest lightweight coxswains in history, was elected captain of the 1968 varsity last Friday.

Sullivan moved in from Conard High School in West Hartford, Conn., to cox the first light boat in the fall of his freshman year. That boat went undefeated through the Eastern sprints; the varsity boat he steered last year went undefeated through the Thames Cup races at Henley; and this year's crew swept through its dual regatta schedule.

Sullivan had never been in a losing race before the Sprints this season, in which the lights finished fourth.

He is a big man for a cox -- in fact he's taller than the six man in this year's boat -- but according to one varsity veteran, "Sullivan's presence is worth a couple of lengths in any race."

Senior Mike Radetsky was named most valuable oarsman after two outstanding seasons on the first varsity boat.