Cindermen Slide to GBC Victory On Six Firsts and Lots of Depth

Harvard's varsity and freshman track teams defended their Greater Boston track titles with ease at M.I.T.'s Briggs Field yesterday.

The Crimson varsity won only six of the 18 events, but scored every event but the broad jump. Harvard's 100 points was far ahead of runner-up North-eastern's 66. B.C. followed with 48, Tufts scored 22, B.U. 16, M.I.T. 13 and Brandeis 4.

Pole vaulter Steve Schoonover broke the GBC and Briggs Field records with a 14 ft. 6 in. effort. The mile relay team of Bob Cook, Dave McKelvey, Jeff Huvelle, and Frank Snowden eclipsed the track mark, running 3:19.2.

Keith Colburn and the rest of the freshmen ran wild in amassing 119 points. Colburn set GBC freshman records in the mile (4:11.4) and the 880 (1:52.2). He then finished an outstanding day with a 49.1 anchor leg in the winning mile relay.

Yardlings Rack

The Yardlings won ten of the events and placed three men in the top five in nine of the 16 individual events. M.I.T. finished second in the freshman competition with a paltry 44 points.

B.C.'s Larry Jeffers was the only double winner in the varsity meet as he nipped Harvard Captain Wayne Andersen in both the 100 and 220. Jeffers's times of 9.9 and 21.5 were not outstanding, but a head wind and cool weather hampered the sprinters. Harvard's other frequent double winner, Frank Haggerty, was edged out in both the high and intermediate hurdles.

Other gold medal winners for Harvard were Bruce Hedendal, with a field record of 162 ft. 1/2 in. in the discus, Godwin Nwokoye in the triple jump, Dave McKelvey in the 440, and Doug Hardin in the two mile.