Successor May Challenge Damascus in 93rd Derby

Louisville will forget its open-housing problems for two hysterical minutes Saturday, as Mrs. Edith Bancroft's Damascus attempts to turn back 10 to 13 rivals in the 93rd running of the Kentucky Derby.

The Sword Dancer colt, winner of six of eight races, including a smashing six-length triumph in the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct, looms the strongest favorite for the Spring Classic since Ridan in 1961. Post-time odds will probably be about 8-5.

Willie Shoemaker, looking for his fourth Derby victory in 15 attempts will be aboard Damascus.

The Challengers

The strongest challenges are expected to come from two stretch running colts, Ruken and Successor.

Off recent performances. Ruken, who has done most of his campaigning in California, rules the second favorite with probable odds at 7-2. A come-from-behind triumph in the rich Santa Anita Derby, a narrow decision over Successor in an allowance race, and an easy triumph in the Stepping Stone Purse last Saturday are Ruken's major achievements.

Successor has been something of an enigma this year. This son of Bold Ruler, last year's two-year-old champion, and winter-book favorite for the Derby, am-assed $441.000 in winnings in 1966.

But Successor's three 1967 starts have resulted in a second to Ruken and two fourths in mediocre fields. He rates no worse than 5-1, just on the basis of last year's form.

The clever Braulio Baeza. North America's leading jockey the past two years, but looking for his first Derby winner, has the mount.

Three other colts will receive fair support at the windows. Reason to Hail boasts a handy victory over mediocre competition in the California Derby, but he had no excuse when beaten five lengths by Damascus a month ago.

Diplomat Way ran out front all the way in capturing the Blue Grass Stakes at Keaneland last week. But is is hard to imagine him lasting the longer Derby distance of a mile and a quarter against stiffer competition.

Dr. Isby, the outsider of these three, is a late-developing Californian colt with a good recent second to Ruken. He has the capable riding services of four-time Derby winner Bill Hartack.

The other half dozen or so starters will be extreme longshots. The guess is here is that if anyone is going to beat Damascus, it will be Successor. This powerful colt has had an excuse for each of his poor showings in 1967.

Eddie Neloy, who trains Successor, as well as horse-of-the-year Buckpasser, has the habit of winning all the big ones. It wold not be surprising to see him win another.

CBS television (Channel 5) will cover the Classic, beginning at 5 p.m.