Stickmen Whip Indians, Ending Ivy Losing Streak

After losing 14 straight Ivy League contests over three seasons, the lacrosse team overcame a horrid first half to nip Dartmouth, 7-4, Saturday in sunny Hanover, New Hampshire.

The win was the first in the League for a Harvard lacrosse team since the 1965 squad edged Brown, 8-7.

In the midst of their Green Key weekend, the hosts seemed unable to shake off the wine, women, and song and get down to playing lacrosse. They completely dominated the first half yet only managed to push one of 13 shots past Harvard goalie Bob Norton.

Norton Stars

Norton turned in a sparkling job in the nets, and was really the only reason the Crimson stayed close in the opening two periods. The one Indian tally in the first half came when Harvard was a man down.

After the half-time break, the hosts added two quick goals to take a 3-0 lead before Coach Bruce Munro's stickmen, who had looked sick in getting off only two first half shots, got into the ballgame.

Junior midfielder Charley Ames started things off with a hard-fought score six minutes into the third quarter. He took a pass at midfield from Dan Kopanz-- playing for the first time this year -- forged his way through a pack of Indians in front of the goal and slammed in the score.

Jim Kilkowski and Tom Nicosia teamed up on the next two Crimson tallies, each scoring on one and assisting on the other. Harvard was a man up both times.

A key steal downfield and some great dodging inside by Keith Hutchinson accounted for the final score of the third period, and put the Crimson in front for the first time, 4-3.

Midfielder Towny Gray found himself all alone in front of the goal five minutes later and tossed in an easy 10-foot shot to open the fourth quarter scoring. Dartmouth retaliated, but the Crimson's man up play -- this time going from Nicosia to Marty Cain-- clicked again and gave Harvard a 6-4 lead.

Hutchinson rubbed it in a second before the gun when Harvard was two men up, due to penalties to the first and second string Dartmouth goalies.

The freshman team won its fifth game of the year against one loss by walloping the Green frosh, 10-4, Saturday. Attackman John Ince, who has now scored 32 points -- on 20 goals and 12 assists -- threw in four tallies and assisted on two others.