Chase Peterson, Utah Doctor, Named New Dean of Admission

Chase N. Peterson '52, a Salt Lake City doctor who has been practicing medicine for five years, will become Harvard College's new Dean of Admissions and Financial Aids.

President Pusey announced Dean Fred L. Glimp's successor this morning following a meeting of the Board of Overseers. Peterson's election ends the search which began in early March when the Overseers elected Glimp ('50) to succeed John U. Monro '34 as Dean of the College.

Under Peterson, David K. Smith will continue as Director of Admissions, and Peter K. Gunness as Director of Financial Aids. The new Dean and the standing Faculty Committee on Admissions will have final responsibility for each year's entering class in the College and for the program of scholarships, loans, and part-time work.

Specialist in Endocrinology

Peterson, a specialist in endocrinology and renal disease at the Salt Lake Clinic, graduated from the Harvard Medical School in 1956. He then served as an intern and resident in New Haven before returning to Utah. In addition to his medical practice, he is a clinical instructor in the University of Utah Medical School and Director of the Medical Education Committee of the Latter Day Saints Hospital. A Morman, he also serves on the Community Council for Racial Equality.

Peterson, 37, has for several years been Chairman of the Schools and Scholarship Committee for Utah (the Admission Office's arm in that state) and President of the Harvard Club of Utah.

While at Harvard, he played varsity tennis and squash, held a Harvard National Scholarship, and served on the Freshman Union Committee, as Secretary of the Student Council, and as a member of the Crimson Key. He was elected first Class Marshal of his class and was a member of the Porcellian Club.

Humphrey Doerman '52, assistant to Dean Ford, played doubles with Peterson on the tennis team. "One of his impressive qualities, said Doerman yesterday, "was his ability to swing a divergent group, such as the freshman council or class marshals, into a consensus feeling. His friends were not restricted to one background, either."