Marjolin, Reischauer Receive Honoraries; Monro, Bernstein, Sert, Shahn Also Cited

Robert Marjolin, Vice President of the Commission of European Economic Community, received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from President Pusey this morning at the University's 316th Commencement.

Also honored with LL.D's were Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor, Joseph C. Wilson, Chairman of the Xerox Corporation and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Rochester University; Herbert Wechsler, Professor of Constitutional Law at Columbia and Director of the American Law Institute; and Benjamin E. Mays, the retiring President of Morehouse College in Atlanta.

Leonard Bernstein '39, conductor, composer, and instrumentalist, received a Doctor of Music degree. Honorary Doctor of Arts degrees went to Ben Shahn for his painting and graphic art, and to Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Graduate School of Design.

Three men who have given long service to Harvard received degrees: John Monro, Dean of Harvard College, who received a Doctor of Humane Letters agree; Philip Hofer, Curator of Printing and Graphic Arts in the College Liary, also Doctor of Humane Letters; and Gordon Gillis, Financial Assistant the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, who received a Master of Arts.

Two Nobel Prize winners, Lord Florey for work on penicillin, and Fritz Lippman for his research on intermediate metabolism, received Doctor of Science Degrees.

Honored along with the 13 men was Victoria Ocampo, the editor of Sur, an Argentine literary and cultural review which she established in 1933. She received a Doctor of Letters degree for her writings and translations.

'Thoughtful Economist'

Pusey's citation for Marjolin called the former French and European economic officer a "courageous patriot, thoughtful economist undeterred by competing national interests, he holds fast to the vision of a strong European community." Marolin, former secretary general of the Organization for European Economic Corporation, is expected to speak at the Alumni Exercises this afternoon.

Reischauer served as U.S. Ambassador to Japan from 1961-66. His citation called him "an informed and sympathetic interpreter of East and West."

Wilson assumed control of his father's Haloid Company in 1946 and within two years had committed the company (now Xerox) completely to xerography. I proved to be one of the most successful industrial developments of the decade. He was cited as "an eminent industrial reader and exemplary benefactor of education and public causes."

A legal scholar, Wechsler is noted for his work on criminal law. He is a member of the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice.

For 27 years, Mays, both as President of Moorhead College and as a leading Negro educator in the South, has been influential in raising the standards of predominantly Negro higher educational institutions. He is the President of the United Negro College Fund.

Monro, who will leave Harvard for Miles College next week, was Mays's Faculty escort.

Known for Murals

Shahn, a Lithuanian-born American painter, is noted for drawing and other graphic techniques. He is best known, however, for his prolific murals in U.S. public buildings. During 1957-58, he gave his Charles Eliot Norton Lectures at Harvard on the education and responsibilities of artists (published as "The Shape of Content").

Sir Howard Walter Florey, President of the Royal Society since 1960, shared the 1945 Nobel Prize with Chain of Germany and Fleming of England for the preparation of penicillin in concentrated form.

While doing research at the Harvard Medical School and Mass General Hospital, Lipmann received the 1953 Nobel Prize for his study of intermediate metabolism. He is now continuing his research at the Rockefeller Institute.

Gillis has been associated with Harvard for 50 years as a fiscal and budgetary specialist. Since 1943, he has served as financial assistant to the Dean.

Hoffer founded the department of printing and graphic arts in the Harvard College Library. Now 69, he has long been secretary of the Fogg Museum.