Mrs. D Leaves Dining Hall Post

One of the University's most-loved and best-connected dining hall superintendents, Harriet DePinto, retires this year amidst a flood of 350 messages from alumni, such as Senators Edward M. Kennedy '54 and Robert F. Kennedy '48.

Mrs. DePinto, known to 20 years of Dunster men as Mrs. D, began her career as superintendent of the Winthrop House dining hall in the early 1930's. There she met and became friends with Dean Monro, Joseph P. Kennedy Jr., the oldest Kennedy brother who died later in World War II, and John F. Kennedy '40. She has been encouraged to publish her reminiscences and correspondence with the Kennedys, but has refused.

Mrs. DePinto is known for a keen eye and the sense of humor of a determined pixie. Dunster men remember her appearing before them in the dinner line and solemnly slipping some silverware into their hands for the dates they had for gotten to provide for. On one occasion she overheard some House residents complain about the difficulties of watching the pretty girls in the line on weekend nights and returned to present them with a mirror.

Last week Dunster House gave her a surprise dinner during which she received a standing ovation and several gifts.