Council Approves Private Pickup Of City Garbage

By Nancy H. Davis

The City Council voted Wednesday night to appropriate $50,000 for a private firm to collect the City's rubbish and to build an incinerator to dispose it.

After an unusually long session, the plan, which was put forward by City Manager Joseph A. DeGuglielmo, was passed by a 5-4 vote.

DeGuglielmo argued that his plan would be less expensive than an alternate proposed by Councillor Thomas H.D. Mahoney. Mahoney wanted to award a contract for the construction of an incinerator but to continue with rubbish removal under the control of the City's Department of Public Works.

Under the present system, the City spends $1,125,000 annually for the removal of rubbish,

In response to arguments that the incinerator might be a "lemon," DeGuglielmo answered that Cambridge would not have to pay a cent for the incineration of rubbish if the incinerator didn't work. "We are not investing five cents of our money until we get five cents in return; and if we don't get our five cents, we'll tell them to get out," DeGuglielmo said.

He added that if there is a breakdown the firm which builds the incinerator will have to find another way to dispose of the rubbish at no additional cost to the City.

Councillor William Maher expressed concern over the future of employees who would be displaced by the new garbage disposal arrangements. DeGuglielmo said that the rubbish contractors would pick up any employee who wanted to work for them and that "in six months, if the man does his job, he will acquire union privileges."

Employees would also have the option of remaining with the Public Works Department. "The only thing that's going to be different," DeGuglielmo said, "will be that they will be doing different work."