Even the Pats Can Lose in Harvard Stadium

Harvard Stadium had its first reunion with the Boston Patriots in several years. The Boston Patriots had their first glimpse at the National Football League, and the Baltimore Colts spoiled everything.

They won Cardinal Cushing's game, 33-3, and even stole the show from St. Williams Marching Band.

The Colts are not the ideal team for anyone to face in its NFL debut. They have one of the League's best defensive lines (reinforced now with Bubba Smith, an amazing giant from Michigan State who played the whole game at defensive end), the League's classiest (if not best) quarterback, and the surest group of receivers in the business. That's a tall order for the Patriots, who have been scrambling to put some kind of consistent offense-defensive secondary ent offense and defensive secondary together.

It's hard enough to keep up with Johnny Unitas by himself, but when he has receivers like Raymond Berry, Jimmy Orr, Lenny Moore, John Mackey and outstanding rookie Jay Perkins of Alabama, not even the likes of Leroy Mitchell can keep up the pace.

But despite it all, neither the great Unitas nor his replacement, Jim Ward, tossed a touchdown. They left that to Terry Southall, who hit fullback Jim Baldwin on a 72-yard play that left more than a couple of Patriots red-faced and trailing far behind.

Gino Cappelletti booted a 37-yard field goal for the Patriots sole score.