Drug Regulations Explained to '71

The Freshman Dean's office has taken steps to spell out to freshmen early in the year the University's position on the possession or use of illegal drugs.

Burriss Young '55, assistant dean of freshmen, said yesterday that all proctors were instructed last week to tell their students essentially what Dean Monro told the class of '70 in a letter last April: that the University will take disciplinary action against students caught breaking the drug laws. He said that proctors received no such instructions last year.

Young emphasized that this action does not represent any change in the University's drug policy, and he said he "does not forsee" any strict handling of the drug problem this year than last "We are simply institutionalizing Monro's letter," the assistant dean explained.

Monro's warning last Spring followed reports of sharply increasing use of marijuana in the Yard. "If a student is stupid enough to misuse his time here foling around with illegal and dangerous drugs," the letter stated, "our view is that he should leave college and make room for people prepared to take good advantage of the college oportunity."