SFAC Will Hold Public Meetings

By Andrew Jamison

The Student-Faculty Advisory Council met for the second time yesterday afternoon and voted to accept, practically intact, the proposals of the temporary steering committee, including open meetings in the future.

Discussing "solely organizational matters at exhaustive length," according to one member, the council decided that all future meetings will "usually" be open to the public. However there will be no provisions for large galleries, with the meeting sites chosen so as to restrict the size of the audience. The next meeting will be Tuesday afternoon, January 16, in the Winthrop House Junior Common Room at 3 p.m.

The council, which met in closed session yesterday in the Tonkens Room in Winthrop's C-entry, also selected, by lot, a permanent steering committee. This group will replace the temporary committee, headed by Stanley H. Hoffmann, professor of Government and temporary chairman of the full council, which had prepared the agenda and proposals for yesterday's meeting.

Steering Committee

Two Faculty representatives--Martin H. Peretz, instructor in Social Studies, and Harrison C. White, associate professor of Sociology--will serve on the steering committee, along with Charles F. Sabel '69, Kenneth M. Glazier '69, and Norman Diamond 4G. The body's first meeting, which will be closed to the public, will be held Monday in the Kirkland House Dining Room.

The council approved the formation of the three subcommittees proposed by Hoffmann's steering group, and added a fourth--to deal with the University's relations with Cambridge and neighboring communities. The other subcommittees, which will all meet before next Tuesday, will consider the University's "trade" with the outside world in "personnel" (i.e. the draft and recruiting), "money and ideas" (i.e. contracts and grants with the government and other outside organizations), and the University's relations with its students.

Subcommittee Membership

Membership on the subcommittee was chosen on a voluntary basis, and it was left to the discretion of each group to decide whether or not their meetings will be open. According to one member of the council, 12 to 14 people signed up for the committee on student relations, three or four for the committee on community relations, and eight or nine each for the other two.

Erik H. Erikson, professor of Human Development, was named yesterday to take the place of Bruce Chalmers, Gordon McKay Professor of Metallurgy, on the council. Chalmers will be in England on sabbatical next semester.

Discussion of Selective Service Director Lewis W. Hershey Jr.'s recent directive to reclassify draft protestors 1-A, which had been scheduled for consideration at yesterday's meeting, will be first on the agenda for next Tuesday's meeting. That meeting will, again, be open to the public, but non-council members will not be allowed to take part in the discussion.