Sersich Is New Rock King

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Jim Sersich left his collection of 1500 45's at home, but he brought to Harvard a tape collection and memory extensive enough to give him victory in the CRIMSON's record-breaking Winter 1968 rock'n'roll quiz.

The senior from Lowell House entered Harvard with a reputation as a baseball pitcher, but in his three-and-a-half years here has become a legend, instead, for his knowledge of oldies but goodies.

Sersich's win was by the smallest of margins, however. Dudley House sophomore Frank Frisoli mounted a strong challenge, but missed eight of the 86-short-answer questions to Sersich's seven.

More Winners!

Frisoli, who included labels with all his answers, won the Underclassman Award. The Dunster Rock Team, with nine mistakes, received the Team Award as well as a share of the Alan Freed Memorial Essay Prize.

Joining in the essay honors were two four-man units from the Law School: Campbell-McCarty-Rosenberg-Wolfe of 2L, and Webb-Passman-Lovett-Zwick of 1L.

John Manopoli and Ralph Miller of 2G led the graduate entries with 13 wrong, while defending champions Conn Nugent and Chris Mortenson retained the tandem title with 15 misses.

Yardlings

Excellent potential was displayed by Norman Epstein and Patrick Knisley of Mass Hall who garnered Yardling honors with 22 wrong.

Radcliffe made a poor showing, led by Francine Gonick, Leslie Taft, and Willene Jones at minus 30. The Faculty showed up the Cliffies, led by a surprisingly strong showing from Yu Chi Ho, associate professor of Engineering and Applied Mathematics. Working out of the Aiken Computation Laboratory, the Faculty Cup recipient was off target only 26 times, and presented an incisive essay.

Incidentally, 78 per cent of the entries recognized Fabian as history's worst singer. The percentage might have been higher if the judges could have deciphered the entry submitted in Japanese characters.