Hoopsters to Meet Brown In Hard Fight for Cellar

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard basketball team--staring straight into the horror of last place in the Ivy League--will play important games at Brown and Yale this weekend.

If Harvard loses both, Floyd Wilson's victory-less charges will sink into the cellar, at least a game behind Brown.

But the Brown affair should be close. Boasting a 3-8 record and four straight losses, the Bruins shouldn't be much competition for anyone, but neither is Harvard this season.

Two guards dominate the Brown scoring attack. Rhode Island native Billy Reynolds, a deadly outside shooter, has a 14.7 average. Rick Landan, 5-8, and Georgian Steve Sigur are the only other men in double figures.

Strong Elis

It is unlikely that the Yale game will even be close. Last year the Elis beat Harvard 100-75 at New Haven, and this year's team seems to be somewhat stronger.

Yale bopped Brown twice already, handily. The Elis are 9-4, including one surprising victory over pre-season Ivy co-favorite Cornell. Among the four losses is a 100-72 shellacking from nationally ranked Columbia.

Exciting guard Rick Stoner leads the Elis with a 15.8 average. Captain Ed Goldstone, a 6-4 senior who scored 50 points against Harvard in two games, last year, has a 15.6 mark. Frank Wisneski and Rhodes Scholar Bob McCallum have 12 points averages.

Barometer

It doesn't usually prove much to study results against common opponents, but it's the only barometer available. Northeastern beat Harvard by one point. Brown beat Northeastern by 22, and Yale beat Brown by 20.

And Brian Dowling is alive and well on the Yale bench.