'Rabbit' Gallagher Paces Five To Bluenose Tournament Title

By Richard D. Paisner

Chris Gallagher got a crystal vase as the most valuable player, Bobby Johnson charmed the townsfolk and the Harvard basketball team stomped two Canadian opponents to win the Bluenose Classic n Halifax, Nova Scotia, Friday and Saturday.

Demonstrating the aggressive style which gained him All-Ivy mention last year, Gallagher joined captain Bobby Beller and Johnson on the tournament's All Star team. He and Beller paced Harvard with 22 points apiece in the championship game victory over St. Mary's of Halifax.

In the opening game, an emotion-filled clash with Dalhousie, Gallagher controlled the backboards and guard Micky Orlander threw in a career-high 25 points for a hard-fought 83-75 decision.

The tournament victory was satisfying, because Harvard had had a rough pre-season schedule, winning only three of seven games. But Gallagher's performance was the real jewel of the Nova Scotian weekend.

"The Rabbit," a 6-5 New Yorker, came off an average scoring performance in Friday's game (12 points). Against St. Mary's he turned on all his moves toward the basket. With forward and high scorer Barth Royer sidelined by a twisted knee, Gallagher's apparent revitalization takes on added importance.

Dalhousie entered the tournament sky-high. The Classic was dedicated to two Dalhousie stars killed in an automobile crash two weeks ago, and the survivors were playing like Knute Rockne-inspired warriors.

Harvard managed a 45-40 halftime lead, but fell behind early in the final twenty minutes. After five minutes had passed, Crimson Coach Floyd Wilson threw on a 1-3-1 half court zone press which forced the Canadians into several damaging errors.

A balanced scoring attack did the rest and Harvard began to pull away. Johnson, all over the court with his exciting bouncy stride and crowd-pleasing leaps, followed Norlander with 17 points. Bob Kanuth and Gallagher scored 12 apiece and Beller had 11.

In the final game, Harvard put everything together for the first time this season. A 15 point tear early in the first half virtually iced the game, and only an occasional turnover marred a superb team performance. Harvard won 92-65.

Although not named to the All-Tournament team, both Norlander and Kanuth played very well. Norlander, a 5-11 sophomore in his first year of Varsity competition, tallied 33 points overall and with Beller and Jody Marcowski managed to move the ball well.

The rugged Kanuth contributed his usual steady game, shining on defense and averaging 13 points a night. His running mate at starting forward each night was sophomore Jerry O'Neil.

Harvard opens its Ivy campaign Friday and Saturday against Penn and Princeton at the IAB.