Adams and Eliot Football Squads Romp in Openers

Two traditional favorites, Quincy and Winthrop, fell heavily as the House football season opened yesterday.

A surprising group of sophomores, huddling around a senior quarterback, led the Adams House football team to a 13-0 upset over Quincy yesterday.

Sophomore halfback Fran Saba led the team's rushing attack, scoring one touchdown on a 35-yard run. Senior quarterback Tom DeShields passed for another touchdown and an extra point to sophomore end Don Gogel.

But it was the defense that kept the game on ice for Adams. A relentless front three and the linebacking of sophomores Bob Kettle and Herb Eckhouse held the once mighty Quincy offense to only two first downs all day. Quincy quarterbacks were able to complete only one pass.

Quincy seemed stunned by the upset, Adams House has never been noted for its football teams, but it seems that this year the sophomore class has brought previously unseen football talent into A-House, which just could go all the way.

Winthrop House, last year's winner of the Strauss Cup, lost its first football game to Eliot House yesterday, 21-0.

Combining an aggressive passing attack with a balanced running game, Eliot successfully challenged Winthrop's defensive efforts. Coach Joe Mullin said he was "unable to balance his passing and blitzing defenses."

Bob Beaman of Eliot was the day's big scorer. He made his team's first TD in the last play of the first quarter. The conversion following failed.

In the second quarter, a screen play brought the ball well up the field for Eliot. Again Beaman took it in around the left end for his second. His two-point conversion gave Eliot a 14-0 half time score.

Winthrop controlled the ball most of the second half, but failed to come up with anything on the board. Intercepting a Winthrop pass, Bill Darling carried the ball 65 yards for Eliot's third TD. Steve Waldo kicked the conversion soccer style.