Oldtimers to Be Honored at Club Dinner Tonight

Twenty of Harvard's all-time great athletes will be inducted into the Harvard Varsity Club Hall of Fame tonight at the annual meeting and dinner of the Harvard Club of Boston.

The men to be honored tonight starred for the Crimson mainly between 1918 and 1927. Each was nominated for the Hall of Fame by the friends group of their sport, screened by a special committee, and elected by the Varsity Club executive committee.

Conspicuously missing again this year from the list of nominees was Charlie Brickley '14. Brickley, who holds Harvard football records for career scoring, career touchdowns, career field goals, season scoring, and season field goals, has for years been excluded from Hall of Fame consideration presumably due to a stock fraud conviction in 1929.

Of the 20 elected this year, nine are still living and are expected to be present to receive plaques from the president of the Varsity Club, Sam Drury '35. Prominent among them are George Oven '23, a nine-letter winner in football, hockey, and baseball, who later starred for the Boston Bruins; Thomas Woods '20 an All-American guard on the 1920 Rose Bowl team; Arnold Horween '21, captain of the 1921 football team and Crimson grid coach from 1926-1930.

Others include versatile eight-letterman Isadore Zarakov '27, track stars Willard Tibbetts '26 and Ellsworth Haggerty '27, Arthur Conlon '22, a three-year baseball letterman. Ned Bigelow '21, coach and star of the hockey team, and gridder R. Keith Kane '22, also of the 1920 Rose Bowl squad, and now a member of the Harvard Corporation.

11 Deceased

The 11 deceased inductees are headed by All-American football players Edward Casey '10 and Charles Hubbard '24; Malcolm Whitman '99, standout on the first Davis Cup team and three-time national tennis champ; Edward Gourdin '21, former world record holder in the broad jump; Palmer Dixon '25, two-time national squash champ and Varsity Club President from 1963-1966; Robert Emmons '21, baseball and hockey star; tennis champs Bob Wrenn '95 and Richard Williams '16, runner John Watters '26; hockey goalie Jabish Holmes '21; and Charles Clark '20, another star of the 1920 Rose Bowlers.

The names of the 20 will be permanently inscribed on the Varsity Club walls.