Vote for Peace

It now appears that, despite the City Council's efforts to the contrary, the citizens of Cambridge will be able to express their opinion of the war in Vietnam on election day.

The resolution of Cambridge Neighborhood Committee on Vietnam condemns the war as "not in the best interests of either the American or Vietnamese people," and calls for a "prompt return home of American soldiers." The resolution deserves active support of the Harvard community.

Unlike the more extreme statement of Cambridge Vote on Vietnam, which probably will not appear on the ballot, the CNCV resolution is worded to encompass all shades of dovish opinion. One of the six such referendums across the country, it comes during the last nation-wide series of elections prior to the 1968 contest. It may well be watched as an indicator of public opinion.

A "no" vote will almost certainly be interpreted as an endorsement of President Johnson's policies--or worse, as an invitation to escalate the conflict still further. The Cambridge referendum results would become another of those papers Johnson inexorably waves at reporters.

A "yes" vote, on the other hand, would be an expression of profound concern and disagreement with Johnson's conduct of the war. This will be particularly important at a time when Johnson claims that most of the pressure on his Vietnam policy comes from zealous hawks who want the war pursued with even more force.

The academic community forms only a minority of the Cambridge electorate. If the anti-war resolution is to pass, its supporters will have to mobilize an intensive campaign on its behalf. The CNCV has appealed for student volunteers to aid in this campaign.

A Cambridge resident who has lived in Massachusetts for one year and in Cambridge for six months is eligible to vote. But in order to vote, one must register at 362 Green St. before 4:30 p.m. tomorrow.

The importance attached to the Cambridge referendum dramatizes just how infrequently democratic process has been employed in formulating our country's Vietnam policy. Voters should not pass up this opportunity to urge a reversal of that policy.