SOC SCI 5

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Martin Kilson, in his letter of October 29, has in the most unfortunate and negative manner, allowed himself to be used as a pawn by those forces at Harvard opposed to making the university cognizant of and relevant to the agonizing change this society faces in the coming years.

It is obvious that Kilson completely misunderstood the basis of the Ad Hoc Committee's protests against the course (Social Sciences 5). It is equally obvious that he did not bother to consult anyone involved for clarification. Thus, rather than assuming what seems to be a natural role of laison between students and instructors of the course, Kilson has seriously inflamed an already tense situation with his diatribe. He might have aided communication; instead he has contributed to its breakdown.

By virtue of his color, Kilson's opinions have been accepted as authoritative on black issues at Harvard. I believe Kilson is using this fact to give his opinions undue weight. This sort of misuse of his racial image is at least as "disgustingly anti-intellectual" as the alleged demand that only blacks should teach courses such as Social Science 5. It should be clear from this point forward that Kilson's views are not particularly black--he seems to have much more in common with his old-line colleagues in the Government department than with us. Jeffrey P. Howard '69