Booters Nudge B.U., 3-2 On Goal in Last Quarter

A last-quarter goal by Jaime Vargas on a blocked shot off the foot of Pete Bogovich, broke a tie and carried Harvard's varsity soccer team to a hard fought 3-2 victory over Boston University.

Bogovich, who got the assist on the score, starred in the game by scoring the Crimson's other two goals.

"I don't think we'll play too many teams tougher than them," Harvard Coach Bruce Munro said after the game. Monro added, however, that both of B.U.'s goals came on "defensive mistakes on our part."

Showing great speed and aggressiveness, B.U. kept the ball in Harvard's end for most of the first five minutes. But Harvard made the first score. Taking a long pass from center halfback Richie Hardy, Bogovich booted in a hard, 18-yard shot past B.U.'s goalie with 5:42 of the first quarter gone.

But then the normally explosive Harvard attack sputtered and couldn't increase its lead. The Crimson was stunned out of its lethargy by B.U.'s first goal and came back at 2:14 of the second quarter. Outside right Gerry Montero took the kick-off, raced down the side-lines with the ball, and centered a perfect pass to Bogovich, who headed the ball into the B.U. nets.

The Crimson's atack died once more as B.U. vigorously pressed into Harvard's end and knotted the score again on a free penalty kick.

Harvard dominated the flow of play in the third period and almost monopolized the ball in the final quarter. Only once did B.U. threaten past the mid-field area. But the B.U. defense still stymied the Crimson attack, until 15 minutes into the quarter.

At that point Bogovich took a pass from one of the halfbacks and raced down the center of the field. Faking past a B.U. defender, he blasted a bouncing shot from about 20 yards out to the right of the B.U. goalie.

The Terrier's net minder stopped the shot, but Vargas controlled the loose ball and lifted it over the fallen goalie for the game-winning score.