Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day


Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals


Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99


Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act


U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

FBI Agents Arrest AWOL Private At BU Chapel on Sunday Morning

By James K. Glassman

The AWOL Army private in Boston University's Marsh Chapel was arrested early Sunday morning after nearly five days of sanctuary.

FBI agents, federal marshals, and Boston police--nearly 200 strong--entered the chapel of the B.U. Theological School at 5:30 a.m., marched swiftly down the aisles and led Private first class Ray Kroll away to Fort Devens.

The 500 student sympathizers occupying the Chapel made no attempt to stop the federal agents from arresting Kroll. As their leaders have promised ever since the vigil began at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, their response was totally nonviolent.

Student leaders at the chapel said yesterday that two persons were slightly injured during the arrest procedure, which took between 10 and 15 minutes. One was a girl with undetermined injuries, the other a young man with a sprained ankle.

These injuries, as well as bruises to several others, occurred when the police walked down the aisles, stepping on sleeping or just-awakening students who had little time to get out of the way.

Bust Begins

The bust began when an FBI agent announced into a bullhorn, "This is the FBI--you have 15 seconds to clear the aisles." He repeated this statement several times, then ordered his men to move toward the altar and take positions. Five of them carried Kroll away.

Several student leaders later complained that the plainclothes federal agents were unnecessarily harsh to Kroll during his arrest. Observers said he was dragged down the steps outside the chapel, and an official statement noted "the faceless brutality of the FBI."

After the arrest, black cloth was draped in front of the chapel entrance and students put on black armbands. A service was held with the Rev. Robert H. Hamill, dean of Marsh Chapel, officiating and praising the students for their reliance on nonviolence.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.