Radicals to Be Welcomed at CFIA

By Jeff Magalif

The radical November Action Committee (NAC) and the Center for International Affairs have differing ideas about a "tour" of the Center which the NAC will conduct on Thursday.

"Our tour is a demonstration to explain why the Center should be closed," Barry A. Margolin '79 of the NAC said yesterday. "It is the first in a series of actions against the CFIA which will build up to a series of militant demonstrations during the first week of November."

But seven CFIA staff members, in a letter to the CRIMSON (printed on page two), said they were "glad to learn of" the NAC's "interest" in the Center, and that they "would be glad to have all interested students and faculty visit us." CFIA personnel "will be on hand" to discuss the Center and answer questions, they added.

The Center-funded primarily by the Ford Foundation-does research on such topics as economic development, arms control, and underdeveloped countries. It has been the object of intense leftist criticism, and on September 25 of thisyear was invaded by a violent band of radicals.

Thursday's tour will begin with the gathering of students from Harvard, M. I. T., Boston University, and Northeastern in front of University Hall at noon. After hearing a few NAC speakers, the group-which Margolin said he hopes will number over 200-will march to the CFIA.

Nothing to Hide

Joseph S. Nye Jr., assistant professor of Government and program director of the Center, said yesterday that "we'll be delighted to meet with people and give them information. The Center is an interesting place, and we have nothing to hide."

But Margolin emphasized that "the NAC is going to conduct the tour. We won't jump the CFIA people if they try to outshoot us, but we won't get into debates with them."

Nye's invitation, Margolin said, was designed "to make our protest seem like an act of curiosity; we aren't interested in hearing what they're doing. But we just expected to see imperialist facilities, and having living imperialists on hand will be nice."

The NAC, Margolin added, will not try to disrupt activities at the CFIA. "This is not an attack on the Center's employees-just on the Center," he said.

"We will give factual and political explanations, pointing out any enemies present," Margolin said. "We will stop at various points of infamy, explaining the connections between the Center and the government and the kind of research which it does."

M. I. T. Sit-in

The NAC is also planning an obstructive sit-in at M. I. T. for Friday. "People aren't going to be attacked or thrown out of their offices, but work will be disrupted," Margolin said.

Students will gather in front of the M. I. T. administration building at 10:30 a. m. and then sit-in in "selected offices" of the administration building and of M. I. T.'s Center for International Studies. Margolin said. The sit-in will continue throughout the day, he said.

Harvard members of the NAC have scheduled a mass meeting at 7:30 p. m. Thursday in Burr B to discuss the CFIA and M. I. T. actions and further NAC plans.