Wilson Reports to SFAC; Watson Writes 'Apologies'

By Salahuddin I. Imam

James Q. Wilson, professor of Government and head of the University Committee on Cambridge community relations, yesterday outlined some of the themes of his committee's investigations at his appearance before the Student-Faculty Advisory Council.

At the same meeting a reply from Dean Watson to the SFAC's request that he explain his remarks about "sons of communists" being responsible for much of the student dissent at Harvard was presented to the Council.

Watson wrote that he was "profoundly sorry" for the "lapse of judgment" which had caused him to "appear to suggest guilt by association."

Wilson made it clear at the outset that he was not going to reveal specific proposals from his committee's report since it had yet to be submitted to the Council of Deans. He emphasized, however, that the report ought to be regarded as merely a preliminary public statement which was to serve as the basis for further discussion. He stated that he was ready to appear before SFAC again in the future to make sure that it had a chance to influence the University's decisions on Cambridge affairs.

Wilson noted that his committee had been given carte blanche by President Pusey and that his group had in fact taken advantage of this proviso to probe areas of the University that are generally closed to Faculty members, such as Harvard's hiring, admissions, and real estate policies. He plans to complete the report very soon.

Housing Shortage

The most immediate and pressing issue, Wilson said, is the severe housing shortage in Cambridge. The University has contributed to the problem, according to Wilson, mainly by its "presence rather than by its intentions." Pointing out that Harvard actually owned only 4.5 per cent of Cambridge's land area and that these holdings had grown only 20 per cent in the last 20 years, Wilson concluded that the University was "not gobbling up land."

Wilson admitted that the desire of University-connected people to live in Cambridge had contributed to the drastic rise in rents in Cambridge. But he also maintained that many outsiders and "hangers-on" had been attracted as well to the Cambridge area by the University's mere presence.

A discussion over whether Harvard should decentralize by relocating its various branches was sparked off by a suggestion put forward by Sheldon Dietz '41 that the University open up a branch in Kenyon, Ohio. Wilson said his committee had not considered the possibility of decentralization but would look into it at its next meeting. His own personal appraisal of the proposal was a pessimistic one.

Wilson emphasized that the University did not have the power singlehandedly to solve all the problems of Cambridge because these were not of its making. Rather he felt that Harvard should deal jointly with the Cambridge City Government and with M.I.T. to work out some solutions.

Some proposals he mentioned were that Harvard help to increase the housing supply of the area and that the University employ more people from local areas to fill its non-academic positions. Currently, less than one-third of University employees come from Cambridge.

Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to the President for Civic and Governmental Relations and another member of the Wilson Committee who was present at the SFAC meeting, referred to the University's previous passive role in the community and suggested that coming years would see it assume a more active attitude.

Kenneth Glazier '69, Chairman of the SFAC, introducing Watson's letter mentioned that the Dean of Students had stressed three further points in an interview.

* There is no file in the admissions office which contains the political beliefs of the parents of students. Watson said he had gleaned his information purely from personal conversations.

* At no time in the last 20 years has the F.B.I. ever obtained any information from the Dean's office concerning a Harvard student, though the F.B.I. has, on occasion, approached the Deans.

* As of 1963 student political organizations at Harvard have not been required to submit membership lists to the Dean's office. There is a provision however for the Dean to demand that such a list be presented to him, should he deem it necessary