Fourth-Period Field Goal Wins Game for J.V., 10-7

In a preview of the varsity game, Harvard's J.V. football team edged a fired-up Princeton squad, 10-7, last Saturday in Princeton.

Halfback Pat Coleman was the work-horse of the Crimson attack, as he carried for over 100 yards and set up Harvard's only touchdown. Offensive tackle Eric Honick scored a 28-yard field goal in the fourth quarter to win the game.

It was an expensive afternoon for the Crimson, however, as halfback Scott Guild, currently leading the team in rushing with an average of 115 yards per game, was helped off the field in the first period with a possible broken foot.

The game started slowly for both teams. Harvard quarterback John O'Grady directed a drive deep into Princeton territory, but the Tiger defense held and the Crimson had to settle for a field goal try. Honick's kick was wide, however, and it was the last Harvard scoring threat in the quarter.

Defense Holds

But the Crimson's defensive unit, led by safeties Kenny Thomas and Dick Manny, cornerback Jim Higgins, and alternating middle guards Vic Piotrowski, Russ Sherman, and Elliot Nierman, all combined to bottle up Princeton's usually effective end sweeps.

Princeton scored first in the second quarter, on an 11-yard ramble by tailback Bruce Corcoran, but Harvard quickly retaliated.

On the following kickoff, Harvard's Dave Biegling took the short boot and ran it back to the Tiger 45-yard line. Coleman churned up yardage to the Princeton one-yard line on a series of short gains, and then fullback Rich Kelliher bulled his way in for the score.