Off-Key Band Shows Jangle Some Nerves

By Paul Houston

Harvard's irreverent band may be marching toward a confrontation with the censor.

The band's shows at football games are among the few Harvard institutions with a censor--Sports Information Director Baaron B. Pittenger. So far this year, band members agree, Pittenger has turned a benevolent eye toward halftime high-jinks.

But band director Jim Walker acknowledged yesterday there is pressure to keep the shows at the Brown and Yale games reasonably clean. Walker indicated there has been scattered flak, hotly in private the band's spoof of the Papal encyclical on birth control at, of all games, the one against Holy Cross.

In that show, the 120-member band formed the word BANG as the announcer presented the "Spiro T. Agnew award for distinguished achievement" to Pope Paul "for his contribution to the population explosion"--and the band played "With a Little Bit of Luck."

The biggest reaction to the band's weekly exercise in subtlety and double entendre came, however, after the Princeton show.

For those who missed it, the band explored the subject of coeducation at Princeton.

Announcer: "A handful of girls are already enrolled in the 'critical' language program, and many hope that these cunning linguists are a hint of things to come."

(The band formed the word FRENCH and played "A Taste of Honey.")

Announcer: "One can foresee, however, that discrimination by the eating clubs may force new women students to turn elsewhere for their meals."

(The band formed EAT OUT and played "Ain't She Sweet?")

Announcer: "It is likely, though, that the addition of kissable girls to the campus will change the habitual snarl of the tiger's face."

(The band formed PUCKER and played "Whistle While you Work.")

Announcer: "We do hope that the new female students will finally be able to whip that impetuous tiger spirit into submission."

(The band spelled TIGER and changed to PUSSY, playing "Tiger Rag" and "What's New Pussycat?")

Just what the band is going to try to get away with at the Brown and Yale outings is known only by Drillmaster Don Tuckwiller '70, and his five-member show committee.