Princeton Hopes to Halt Yale Gridders While Struggling Cornell Hosts Indians

Princeton's football team, rated earlier this season as a strong contender for league honors, must settle for the role of spoiler as it travels to New Haven Saturday to battle undefeated Yale.

Yale, led by record-breaking Brian Dowling and Ivy Back-of-the-Week Calvin Hill, has rolled to decisive victories over its seven opponents this season.

Princeton, which ranks right behind Yale in both offense and defense, has lost four games, but all by less than seven points. This will be the Tigers' third attempt in four weeks to derail an undefeated Ivy League team.

Brown Tomorrow

Harvard must defeat Brown at the Stadium tomorrow if the Harvard-Yale game is to feature two unbeaten teams for the first time since 1909. Brown's chances of upsetting the Crimson will largely depend on split end Greg Kontos, halfback Tom Lemire, and quarterback Bryan Marini.

In more boring games, Cornell will host fifth-place Dartmouth, and Penn will try to grab third place in a contest with Columbia and Marty Domres.

Penn coach Bob O'Dell, after watching his team lose to Yale 30-13 Saturday, said, "Hill and Dowling make the difference between Yale and any other team in the league." The two accounted for 328 yards as the Elis built up a 16-0 halftime lead and increased it to 23-0 before Penn was able to score. Hill was selected for Back-of-the-Week in consideration of his two touchdowns and career-high rushing total of 126 yards against Penn Saturday.

Yale head coach Carmen Cozza was most pleased about his defensive line's play against Penn and the offensive opportunism of quarterback Dowling. Dowling ran two superb option plays, one for 40 yards and another for 15 and a touchdown, as he lateraled to Hill at the last moment on both.

Narrow Losses

Coach Dick Colman of Princeton is understandably disappointed after his team's narrow losses. The Tigers' passing has been weak this season, especially against Harvard when they gained only 78 yards in the air. But the return of Scott MacBean, their best passer who is just recovering from cracked ribs, should help against Yale. Nevertheless, the Tigers will have to overcome their inconsistency from one play to another if they are to pull an upset.

Brown, winless in Ivy competition this fall, will be seeking its first victory over the Crimson since 1959. Kontos is third in the league in pass receiving, while Lemire is seventh in rushing, and Marini sixth in passing. The Bruins lack the balance to make their attack more effective, however, and it should prove to be another frustrating afternoon for them tomorrow in Cambridge.