Vellucci Attacks 'Crimson'; Lauds PBH Programs

By Thomas P. Southwick

Three Cambridge city councillors left their usual haunts last night and visited their biggest and most powerful constituent, Harvard University.

Councillors Edward A. Crane '35, Alfred E. Vellucci, and Barbara Ackermann ate dinner at Adams House and spoke with a group of students in the Adams Junior Common room as part of a lecture series on Cambridge politics.

CRIMSON Attacked

The speeches concerned the relationship of Harvard to Cambridge government. Vellucci spent about fifteen minutes attacking the Harvard CRIMSON for failing to report the prime issues of Cambridge and for failing to inform students of what was really happening in the City. He suggested that if this continues students should boycott the CRIMSON in protest.

Vellucci praised the work of students in Phillips Brooks House and suggested that this was the most profitable type of work a student could do for the city in which he lives.

Crane and Mrs. Ackermann gave general views of the City, including the problem of dealing with a huge nontaxable private institution. "The City of Cambridge is only six square miles and of this, three square miles is taken up by Harvard, M.I.T. and Fresh Pond," Crane said. This situation brings both problems and blessings to the City, he added.

Wesley E. Profit '69, president of PBH, suggested during the question period that Cambridge might set up an intern program to invite students to become part of the city government. Under such a program, Profit said, the students would work directly with city councillors and other officials in an effort to lend student talent to the City and at the same time learn about city government. Mrs. Ackermann said she would take up the proposal with the city manager.