Harvard Again Asks Precautions For High School Game at Stadium

Boston Latin will battle Boston English in their traditional Thanksgiving Day game at Soldiers Field this year, but Harvard is once again taking special precautions to prevent a recurrence of the post-game rioting in the Square two years ago.

Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to the President for Civic and Governmental Relations, said recently that Harvard was letting the City of Boston use the stadium "under the same conditions as last year," which included:

* Putting extra details of Boston police at the stadium to prevent drinking during the game.

* Running special buses directly from the high schools to the stadium and back.

* Opening the MBTA subway entrance across from Eliot House to prevent congestion in the Square.

In 1966, over 1000 students clogged the Square for an hour and a half after the game, injuring seven persons, and causing several hundred dollars of damage to stores in the area. After the game, Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29, then City Manager of Cambridge, asked President Pusey to deny future use of the Stadium for the game. Instead, the University required the special precautions, and all was quiet last year.

In a letter to the University and the Cambridge City Government, Boston Mayor Kevin H. White indicated that Boston would accept Harvard's conditions again this year.

Cambridge City Manager James L. Sullivan said that the City would schedule its traditional Thanksgiving Game--Cambridge High and Latin against Rindge Tech on Russell Field--to end at a different time from the Boston Latin-Boston English game. "The problem would be that you don't want two big crowds meeting in Harvard Square," Sullivan said.