Harvard Hosts Undefeated Penn

KICKOFF 1:30 p.m.

By Patrick J. Hindert

Harvard and Penn, two Cinderella football teams challenging for the Ivy League Championship, match their undefeated records today at Soldiers Field in the East's top gridiron attraction.

Largely ignored by preseason prognosticators, Harvard and Penn surprised the experts and now threaten to dethrone Yale from its Ivy tower. All three teams presently share the League lead with 3-0 records.

Oddsmakers pick Harvard as a slight favorite, but Crimson Coach John Yovicsin would like more assurance.

"Penn does all three things well that are the signs of a good team," Yovicsin says. "It has a ball control offense, a very strong containing defense, and an excellent kicking game."

But Harvard has been improving each week and Yovicsin expects this trend to continue.

One of the reasons for this improvement has been junior halfback Ray Hornblower, who leads the Ivy League in rushing with 352 yards. Joining him in a potent backfield are Captain Vic Gatto, who has gained 469 yards overall, full-back Gus Crim, and quarterback George Lalich, who has completed 57 per cent of his passes (39-68).

Harvard's defense, which has allowed only 41 points in five contests, ranks third nationally in that category.

Injuries still plague the Crimson ranks. Tackle Joe McGrath and end Bruce Freeman will definitely miss today's game, and cornerback John Ignacio and tackle Bob Dowd remain questionmarks.

John Kiernan will replace Freeman at offensive end. John Cassis and Neil Hurley are ready to fill in at offensive tackle and cornerback respectively, if needed.

Football Fever

Penn's entire campus is burning with football fever following last Saturday's 19-14 cliff-hanger win over Princeton. The victory assured the perenially-punchless Quakers of their first winning season since 1959.

Penn's controlled attack centers around quarterback Bernie Zbrzeznj, who passes more accurately than he spells, and half-back Jerry Santini, a hardnosed inside runner.

The Quaker defense has been almost as tight as Harvard's, allowing only 45 points in five games. Penn relies upon quick penetration by lanky ends Charles Ketchey and Chuck Aho and the aerial banditry of George Burrell.

Burrell, the first defensive player ever to be named Ivy League Back of the Week, received the honor for intercepting two Tiger passes in the closing minutes of the Penn-Princeton game, and returning three kicks far enough to become the country's leading punt return artist.