Gus Crim: His Blocks Lead Harvard's Sweeps

While Vic Gatto or Ray Hornblower is dashing downfield after breaking loose on one of their patented sweeps, Gus Crim is most likely picking himself off the defender he bowled over at the line of scrimmage.

"I have pride in my blocking." Crim says. "I feel I can run with the ball, but blocking is my main job in a well-rounded offense."

At 6' 2"-210 pounds, Crim is a devastating blocker. On most of Harvard's offensive plays, Crim dives straight ahead into the line. Quarterback George Lalich fakes a hand-off to him, and, as Lalich pitches to one of the halfbacks, Crim mows down the end or linebacker pursuing the play.

"Gus does all kinds of blocking well--downfield, running, and pass," Coach John Yovicsin says. "He gives Gatto and Hornblower opportunities to run."

Strong Runner

But Crim's running has been equally valuable to Harvard's success. His most outstanding performance was in the Penn game. He gained 55 yards in 11 carries in that game, but he doesn't believe his great running that day has been his greatest contribution this year. "I like to think that my other games were just as good," he says. "It's just that it wasn't as obvious to the spectators."

Crim was not a starter until the fourth game of the season. He had started last year for two games, but an ankle injury put him out of action for the rest of the season. This year when he came back he was number two behind his replacement. Ken O'Connell, O'Connell sustained a shoulder injury in the Columbia game and Crim replaced him in the starting position.

"He has been so impressive ever since," Yovicsin says, "that he has started for us since."

'Football School'

Like many of the other varsity players, Crim had to make a decision whether he wanted to go to a "football school" or not.

"I decided that I didn't want to go to a Big Ten school like Ohio State which puts a lot of pressure on football and developing pro prospects," Crim recounts.

Crim played for the freshmen at fullback, but he felt that he had to put on weight to play for the varsity. During the summer he trained, lifting weights, and that proved disastrous in his sophomore year.

"I got discouraged in August and didn't train too hard for the rest of the summer," he said. "Then I had a number of little injuries which ended with my ankle injury in the Penn game."

This year he prepared differently and just did running without worrying about his weight. At the first of the season he was behind the others in experience, but by the time he replaced O'Connell, he had made up the difference.

Crim is excited with the untapped potential of Harvard's offense. "I think we're capable of a much more explosive attack," he said. "We haven't matured as fast as the defense because they've been together more as a unit, but I think we've come together well.

With Crim leading the blocking, the explosions should start coming more often.