Punt Return Specialist Neil Hurley Enters Starting Lineup at Cornerback

"If Harvard wins the Princeton game," Crimson gridder Neil Hurley says, "we'll win it on defense."

And if the defense wins next Saturday's crucial contest for Harvard, a lot of the credit will have to go to Hurley, slated to start at left cornerback. The success with which the quick junior helps contain the Princeton offense and runs back punts could make the difference in the game's result.

Hurley has not always been a defensive specialist; he played offensive halfback as well as safety for the freshman team two years ago. Head varsity coach John Yovicsin was impressed with his ability, however, and convinced him that his best varsity chances lay in defense.

Switch

Accordingly, Hurley started at safety for the varsity B-squad last year and emerged as a strong contender for the varsity secondary this fall. Yovicsin switched him from safety to cornerback because, the coach says, "Pat Conway and Tom Wynne had sewed up the safety positions, and we wanted Neil to start."

Hurley started at cornerback in this year's varsity opener against Holy Cross but suffered a concussion in the second period and was unable to start again until last Saturday's Penn tilt.

"Neil has developed into a fine, steady, consistent defensive back," Yovicsin says. "He has good speed," the coach continues, "and fine agility and coordination; he reacts and thinks like an athlete."

Hurley is the team's leading punt return artist this year, having run back nine punts for an average of 14.2 yards a carry. "Neil is surefingered and uses his blockers well," Yovicsin says.

Hurley entered Harvard after a sensational athletic career at Malden Catholic High School in Massachusetts, where he played baseball, scored a total of 1090 points in basketball, and was named as a senior to the All-State and All-Catholic All-American football teams.

He played both offensive halfback and safety for Malden and maintained his double identity as a freshman here, scoring two touchdowns at halfback.

The only varsity action that Hurley saw last year came with the kickoff unit, but he built up his pass-defending and punt-returning skills with the B-team. The highlight of his season was an 80-yard touchdown on a punt return against Dartmouth.

Hurley misses playing on offense, but he enjoys actual play more than anything else, and his chance has come on defense.

Pressure

"You get a lot more publicity playing offense," he says, "but there's a lot more pressure on the defense, especially the secondary."

"If an offensive halfback," Hurley continues, "makes a mistake on blocking, the play might not go, but it's no big thing. But if anyone on the secondary makes a mistake, it can very easily cost you six points, and everyone in the stands knows who's to blame."

Neil Hurley will be doing everything in his power next Saturday to keep his mistakes to a minimum.