Around the Nation: How the People Voted

ELECTORAL VOTES BY STATE

ALABAMA (10)

George Wallace's home state gave him over 70 per cent last night with Nixon finishing second, and Humphrey a miserable third. Elected to the Senate on Wallacc's coattails was former Lt. Gov. James B. Allen, who beat conservative Republican Perry O. Hooper in a walk. Although Democrats were expected to add to their 5-3 majority in the state's congressional delegation, all three incumbent Republicans were returned.

ALASKA (3)

Early returns indicated that Nixon would probably win Alaska's three electoral votes, while Democratic House speaker Mike Gravel would edge out Anchorage Mayor Elmer Rasmuson for the Senate seat vacated by Ernest Gruening. Gruening's write-in eort to keep his seat seemed destined to fail badly.

ARIZONA (5)

Nixon won in this state--the only one outside of the deep South which went for Goldwater in 1964. Arizona not only gave Nixon its 9 electoral votes, but elected Goldwater to take retiring Carl Hayden's place in the Senate. As he left for a sixty-day fishing trip, Goldwater said he looked forward "to serving in the interests of the way of life that you and I all love." Jack Williams beat Sam Goddard for the second time in the race for Governor.

ARKANSAS (6)

Wallace, expected to win Arkansas comfortably, just edged out both Nixon and Humphrey. At the same time, however, Republican Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller defeated speaker of the House Marion Crank, and Democratic dove. J. William Fulbright easily beat Charles J. Bernard, an unknown Republican. The Arkansas Congressional delegation remained unchanged, at 3-1.

CALIFORNIA (40)

California dangled its 40 electoral votes before the nation, preventing many from going to sleep. At 5:00 this morning, only 26 per cent of its vote had been counted--giving Nixon 47 per cent and Humphrey 46 per cent. Alan Cranston beat conservative Max Rafferty for Tom Kuchel's old seat in the Senate.

COLORADO (6)

Nixon again with 51 per cent over Humphrey who got 41 per cent of the vote. Peter Dominick defeated Steve McNichols to go back to the Senate.

CONNECTICUT (8)

Humphrey carried the state. Democratic incumbent Sen. Abraham Ribicoff swept to re-election, beating Republican Edwin H. May, a former congressman. May centered his attack on Ribicoff's support of George McGovern for president and on the speech Ribicoff gave at the Democratic convention denouncing the "gestapo tactis" of the Chicago police. There was no change in the House delegation.

DELAWARE (3)

Humphrey's last-minute surge fell just a bit short in the Keystone State. Nixon carried its potent package of 3 electoral votes by a 45 to 43 per cent margin, with Wallace picking up the remaining 12 per cent.

DISTRICT of COLUMBIA (3)

As expected, Humphrey carried the nation's capitol by a comfortable margin, 78 per cent to 22.

FLORIDA (14)

A surprisingly strong Nixon state, Florida gave the Republicans 14 electoral votes that had been rated as a toss-up. Riding the conservative state-wide trend, Republican Edward J. Gurney easily defeated former Gov. LeRoy Collins, widely-known as a liberal on race. Democrats picked up one seat in the House, however.

GEORGIA (12)

Strongly for Wallace, Georgia proved staunchly conservative again this year, even denying liberal Rep. Charles L. Weltner in his bid to regain his Atlanta congressional seat. Herman E. Talmadge, son of the Georgia demagogue, easily won election for a third term.

HAWAII (4)

One of the states that has always been regarded as leaning to Humphrey, Hawaii delivered its four electoral votes late in the evening, re-elected Democratic Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, and returned both of the state's incumbent Democratic Congressmen.

IDAHO (4)

Nixon won this state handily with 65 per cent to overwhelm Humphrey's 24 and Wallace's 11. Incumbent dove Frank Church won his Senate seat over his challenger, Fred Handel.

ILLINOIS (26)

Illinois was a real cliff-hanger. Humphrey took a strong lead with the Chicago-Cook County Democratic vote, but Nixon came on later with the downstate returns. When just over half the vote was in, Nixon moved into the lead to stay.

Everett Dirksen ignored the Cook County vote to embrace downstate Republicanism and victory over challenger William Clark, a man who committed political suicide when he broke with Mayor Daley over the conduct of the Democratic Convention in Chicago.

Richard Ogilvie, as expected, took the governorship from incumbent Democrat Sam Shapiro.

INDIANA (13)

Nixon took Indiana as a Wallace challenge never developed. Incumbent Sen. Birch Bayh, a Democrat, had trouble overcoming William Ruckelshaus. Ruckelshaus moved out early but faded to lose by four per cent.

IOWA (9)

Nixon took the state handily.

Out-of-place Harold Hughes struggled past David Stanley by a bare four per cent after running neck and neck most of the evening hours. Hughes, who nominated McCarthy at the Democratic Convention, was not expected to win in hawkish, conservative Iowa.

KANSAS (7)

Traditionally Republican Kansas returned to the fold this year after its flirtation with Johnson in 1964. But despite the Nixon victory, Democratic Gov. Robert Docking won re-election over challenger Rick Harman. Robert Dole, a conservative Republican, won election to the Senate over Wichita lawyer William I. Robinson.

KENTUCKY (9)

Kentucky was the first border state to indicate that Wallace's strength would be held to the Deep South. Nixon's strategists postulated a "periphery theory" which required him to carry the border states, and in Kentucky, at least, it paid off. Nixon received 44 per cent of the vote, Humphrey 38 per cent, and Wallace, an amazingly small 18 per cent.

In the Senatorial race, Judge Marlow Cook, a Republican, defeated the Democrat, Katherine Peden, to keep possession of Thruston Morton's seat for the GOP.

LOUISIANA (10)

Russel B. Long, son of the Kingfish, was unopposed in his race for re-election to the Senate, in this state that gave George Wallace over 50 per cent of its popular vote. All eight Democratic congressional candidates were easily reelected, five of them running unopposed. Among those returning to e Ninety-First congress are HUAC mogul Edwin E. Willis, arch-segregationist John R. Rarick, and F. Edward "Get rid of the First Amendment" Hebert.

MAINE (4)

The Democratic presidential ticket sweep of the state helped dovish congressman Peter N. Kyros win handily over Republican challenger Horace A. Hildrath. Both candidates favored a bombing halt but Hildrath conditioned it. In the second district Democratic incumbent William D. Hathaway appeared to have won a tight race with State Representative Elden H. Shute. Shute's main charge was against Hathaway's "ultra liberal record."

MARYLAND (10)

Evidently, Maryland knew Spiro Agnew too well. With 98 per cent of its precincts in, Humphrey had carried the state 43 to 41. But his coattails weren't quite broad enough for incumbent Sen. Dan Brewster, who lost to Republican Charles Mathias.

MASSACHUSETTS (14)

Humphrey's overwhelming victory helped Democrats in congressional races centering around dogfights in the third, seventh and tenth districts. In the third district veteran Rep. Philip J. Philbin appeared to have won a three way race against Republican Laurence Curtis and Independent Chandler Stevens. In the tenth district Mrs. Margaret M. Heckler, the Republican who unseated former Speaker Joseph W. Martin seems to have handily defeated her Democratic challenger Edmund Dinis. Another incumbent, Rep. Torbert H. MacDonald defeated former White House aid William S. Abbott.

MICHIGAN (21)

Rated a toss-up before election day, Michigan went to Humphrey without a fight. No other races here.

MINNESOTA (10)

There was some doubt beforehand whether Humphrey would carry his home state, but he did so with little trouble.

MISSISSIPPI (7)

There was little doubt that Mississippi would deliver heavily for George Wallace, and it did, giving him over 80 per cent of the popular vote in that state. All five Democratic incumbents, running for re-election to the House won easy victories, with G. V. Montgomery of Meridian turnback former Congressman Prentiss Walker in the only seriously contested race in the state.

MISSOURI (12)

Close throughout the evening, Missouri finally fell into Humphrey's camp, with Wallace getting a surprisingly low percentage. Lt. Gov. Thomas Eagleton, a Democratic dove, defeated moderate conservative Thomas Curtis by a modest margin. Incumbent Gov. Warren E. Hearns swept to an easy victory over Republican challenger Lawrence K. Roos.

MONTANA (4)

Nixon won here. Governor Tim Babcock lost to the democratic challenger Forrest Anderson in the race for Governor.

NEBRASKA (5)

As expected, Nixon walked away with Nebraska's five electoral votes.

NEVADA (3)

Nixon took Nevada. He had 47 per cent to Humphrey's 40, with Wallace getting 13.

NEW HAMPSHIRE (4)

New Hampshire returned to its traditional position as a Republican state. Richard Nixon's victory carried veteran Sen. Norris Cotton and the two incumbent Republican congressmen to victory. Cotton, one of the most conservative members of the Senate, won handily over popular Gov. John King. The split in the Democratic party following McCarthy's presidential win there is the main reason for King's defeat, eace candidate for Congress David C. Hoeh, was swamped by incumbent congressman James C. Cleveland. Hoeh was Eugene McCarthy's campaign manager and led the New Hampshire delegation to the Democratic National Convention. In New Hampshire's second district incumbent Republican Louis Wyman won a tough race with James Keefe, former administrative assistant to Sen. Thomas McIntyre. Keefe had strong support from the Democratic organization but was still unable to buck the Republican tide.

NEW JERSEY (17)

New Jersey, expected to give Wallace substantial blue-collar support, and Nixon a majority of from 100,000 to 300,000 votes, turned out to be a cliff-hanger. Wallace ran poorly, with only about ten per cent of the vote, and Humphrey support materialized in the last week of the campaign. The state eventually went to Nixon, however, by about 50,000 votes early this morning.

NEW MEXICO (4)

As in many other western states, Nixon won. He took the Land of Enchantment's 4 electoral votes with roughly 51 per cent to Humphrey's 41 and Wallace's 8. In the gubernatorial race, Fabian Chavez and Gov. David Cargo were neck and neck in one of the tightest races of the night.

NEW YORK (43)

Despite Hubert Humphrey's victory, Democratic Senate candidate Paul O'Dwyer was swamped by veteran Sen. Jacob K. Javits. O'Dwyer, who was nominated as a result of the large McCarthy vote in the primary, did not have the support of the regular Democratic machine and was never given much of a chance against the popular Javits. The New York House delegation remained largely the same but several races provided interest. In New York City Mrs. Shirley Chisholm, a Democrat, became the first Negro woman ever elected to Congress when she defeated James Farmer, former head of Core. Allard K. Lowenstein, another McCarthy candidate, won a House seat in the Fifth District in Nassau County, Adam Clayton Powell, the Harlem Congressman, who was excluded from the 90th Congress on charges of misusing federal funds was re-elected overwhelmingly, setting up another possible challenge to his seating in Congress.

NORTH DAKOTA (4)

Nixon, Milton Young, Republican incumbent, won re-election over Herschel Lashkowitz in a lackluster race.

NORTH CAROLINA (13)

Nixon won North Carolina early in the evening as another Southern state turned in disappointing returns for Wallace. Lt. Gov. Robert W. Scott beat back a strong challenge by Rep. James C. Gardner, and Harvard Law School graduate Sam J. Ervin won re-election to his pereenial Senate seat. In the House, Republicans appear to have picked up one seat, leaving the North Carolina delegation at 7-4, still in favor of the Democrats. One of the victorious Republicans was ex-Cardinal pitcher Vinegar Bend Mizell.

OHIO (26)

Ohio was one of the Midwest states that promised, mid-way through the evening, to give Humphrey a surprise victory. Early this morning, however, Nixon pulled gradually away from Humphrey, widening his margin to over 100,000 votes. At the same time, Democratic Senatorial hopeful John Gilligan was narrowly beaten by Attorney General William Saxbe.

OKLAHOMA (8)

One of Nixon's strongest states, Oklahoma turned back Sen. A. S. Mike Monroney's bid for a third term, electing former Nixon campaign manager Henry Bellmon by a moderate margin. In the House, Oklahoma seems to have maintained its 4-2 Democratic majority.

OREGON (6)

Not surprisingly, Oregon, which went for Nixon in 1960, was for him again. Nixon had 55 per cent to Humphrey's 37, and Wallace made a showing of 8 per cent. Senator Wayne Morse, long an outspoken dove, was behind in a close race with Robert Packwood. Morse seems to have hurt his chances badly in an eleventh-hour debate wiht Packwood.

PENNSYLVANIA (29)

Despite Humphrey's victory here, incumbent Democratic Sen. Joseph Clark was defeated in his bid for a third term by Republican Richard Schweiker. Clark, an early opponent of the Vietnam was and one of the most liberal members of the Senate appeared to be the victim of widespread ticket splitting. Schweiker is considered a moderate Republican in the line of former Pennsylvania Gov. William Seranton. The Congressional delegation otherwise remained the same, with the Democrats retaining a 14-13 majority.

RHODE ISLAND (4)

Humphrey carried the state and helped return incumbent Democrats Congressman Ferdinand St. Germaine and Robert O. Tiernan to office without difficulty. Tiernan had expected a strong challenge from Howard E. Russell, but the Democratic tide swamped the Republican.

SOUTH CAROLINA (8)

Ernest Hollings, elected in 1966 to fill an unexpired term, easily defeated his lack-luster Republican opponent in the Senatorial contest. In the Presidential race, Strom Thurmond delivered South Carolina's eight electoral votes to Nixon, with Wallace and Humphrey picking up about 30 per cent each.

SOUTH DAKOTA (4)

Nixon won, but George McGovern successfuly bucked the Nixon breadbasket tide to gain re-election to the Senate. McGovern, the dovish Presidential Candidate in Chicago, was thought to be in trouble in his conservative homeland. By waging a hard campaign stressing his individualism ("courageous prairie statesman") and his seniority, he made up the difference to win with 54 per cent of the vote over 67-year-old Archie Gubbrud. Republican Frank Farrar won election to the governorship on Nixon's coattails.

TENNESSEE (11)

It was close for a while, but Nixon finally pulled away from Wallace in the Volunteer State and nailed down its 11 electoral votes. With 90 per cent of its precincts in, Nixon led Wallace 38 to 34, with Humphrey a poor third at 28 per cent.

TEXAS (25)

After a "computer breakdown" in Dallas, votes stopped coming from Texas at about mid-evening with Humphrey enjoying a slim lead, and expected to win, largely on the basis of Wallace's surprisingly poor showing. Wallace drew only about 16 per cent in Texas, a state which had been rated as a three-way toss-up. Lt. Gov. Preston Smith, more conservative than retiring Gov. John Connally, coasted to a comfortable victory over little-known Republican Paul Eggers. The Republicans evidently picked up one seat in the House, winning Joe Pool's West Dallas seat.

UTAH (4)

Nixon won in Utah to add 4 electoral votes to his total. The percentages were about 54 for Nixon, 35 for Humphrey, and 11 for George Wallace. Gov. Rampton won and Republican Wallace Bennet defeated Milton Weilemann to regain his Senate seat.

VERMONT (3)

Nixon won easily. Republican Sen. George Aiken and incumbent Republican Rep. Robert Stafford were unopposed.

VIRGINIA (12)

Nixon won easily in Virginia, another of the near-South states that proved disappointing for Wallace. There were no senate or gubernatorial races in the state this year.

WASHINGTON (9)

Humphrey just edged out Nixon in Washington, avoiding a Nixon sweep in the West. At the same time Governor Dan Evans, Republican Keynote speaker, and Warren Magnuson, senior Democratic Senator were both re-elected by lopsided margins.

WISCONSIN (12)

Wisconsin went to Nixon at the end of a long see-saw battle. It wasn't until 80 per cent of the vote had been counted that Nixon's lead became substantial enough to call the race. Democratic Sen. Gaylord Nelson easily won re-election.

WEST VIRGINIA (7)

The hills of West Virginia, where Humphrey's 1960 Presidential campaign came grinding to a halt, were a good bit kinder to him this time around. He carried the state's 7 electoral votes easily, polling 52 per cent of the vote, to 38 for Nixon and 7 per cent for Wallace.

WYOMING (3)

Nixon won here by some 55 per cent over Humphrey's 36 per cent, and Wallace's 9 per cent showing.

TOTAL 538