Hoopsters to Tackle B.C. In Toughest Game to Date

The varsity basketball team will face a stern test when it meets perennial powerhouse Boston College, ranked in the national top 20, at 8 p.m. tonight at Chestnut Hill in the Crimson's fourth game.

The Eagles, featuring two potential All-Americans, have rolled to convincing victories over LeMoyne and the University of Connecticut. But Coach Bob Cousy said yesterday, "Harvard will be our toughest opponent to date. If my boys should by any chance be looking past Harvard to our game with Villanova on Friday, they're going to be in for a surprise."

B.C. has an injury problem at the moment, but should be able to field a very strong team nonetheless. Tom Veraneau, Don Cosby, and Bob Bukiet, who were expected to carry the offensive load this season, are all injured, though Crosby has seen some limited action.

The four regular starters now are guards Jim O'Brien and Billy Evans, center Terry Driscoll, and sophomore forward Frank Fitzgerald. Lou Costello and Larry LaGace alternate at the other forward position.

Standouts

Evans and Driscoll are the standouts. "Evans is good all-round," said Cousy. "He plays a tenacious defense, runs the fast break, and is our playmaker," the famed B.C. coach added. Driscoll, a 6'7" senior, does a great deal of both the scoring and rebounding. Against UConn, the big center grabbed 20 rebounds and contributed 26 points.

"We've been playing quite well thus far," Cousy said. "Our defense has been exceptional. But Harvard has a good club with general strength. They have excellent speed, Ernie Hardy under the boards, and an outstanding individual in Dale Dover. I'm surprised their record is only 1-2, though it is always hard at the beginning with a new coach and a new system."

Wary

Crimson Coach Bob Harrison is understandably wary of the Eagles. "They're a really good defensive club. They run well, they're quick, and they hit the boards hard," Harrison said. "To win, we'll have to take control and prevent them from running." B.C. has a 13-5 edge in the series with Harvard.

Harrison is not disappointed with his team, despite its slow start. He mentioned the problems of adapting to the new 3-2 offense. Harrison's ambitious fall conditioning efforts have had good results, as the Crimson have been able to run with any of their opponents.