Varsity Squash Team Demolishes Amherst, 9-0, As Eight Players Shut Out Their Opponents, 3-0

The Harvard varsity squash team romped to its second straight victory by soundly thrashing a hapless Amherst squad, 9-0, yesterday at Hemenway Gymnasium. Harvard lost only one individual game, as eight of the nine players coasted to decisive 3-0 victories.

Anil Nayar, at number one, was the only player to lose a game, but the outcome of his match was never in doubt as Nayar seemed to be toying with the scrambling Amherst captain.

The Amherst squad had been hurt badly by graduation as only three of last year's lettermen returned. Earlier in the season Amherst suffered identical 8-1 losses to Penn and Navy, the most serious threats to Harvard's second straight national title.

The Amherst match seemed anti-climactic after a furious round of inter-squad matches on Monday and Tuesday. In that competition, Michel Schienmann gave number two man Larry Terrell a scare when he rallied to take the third and fourth games, but Larry held on to win in the fifth.

John Ince jumped a notch from fifth to fourth place by outlasting Fernando Gonzalez in a gruelling five-game match. Peter Abrams defended his number six position by defeating challenger and number seven man Steve Whitman, 3-1. Finally, Ed Atwood extended his undefeated string of challenge matches by eliminating Bruce Wigand, 3-1, to earn his number eight ranking.

The Army match this Saturday appears to be Harvard's first real test this year. Army will be trying to avenge a 7-2 defeat by the Crimson last year. Coach Jack Barnaby is well aware that the Cadets are both strong and anxious to get a crack at the defending national champs.