Law Students Might Be Members Of Faculty Committees Before June

After an indecisive three-hour meeting of Harvard Law School students and professors yesterday, John P. Dawson, chairman of the Joint Student-Faculty Committee, predicted that students would be regular members of all faculty committees by June.

The committee of six Law School students and six professors called this first general meeting to discuss student participation in academic and administrative decisions. The students and professors agreed to meet again either next week or after exams to discuss specific proposals.

'Democracy'

Debate at the meeting centered around two suggestions:

* "Representative" democracy, which would put student representatives on all Faculty committees, including the Committee on Legal Education. Committee decisions would not be binding on the Faculty.

* "Participatory" democracy, which would require all decisions to be made in general meetings of all students and Faculty. Decisions made by the general meetings would then be binding.

Dawson said that "law students have been reluctant to consider proposals for student government institutions similar to those adopted at other law schools. He said that he had favored the University of Pennsylvania's Mundheim Report which proposes some student representation on faculty committees. Participation would range from regular student membership on some committees to parallel student committees which would submit independent reports.

Too Vague

Robert H. Mundheim '54, visiting professor of Law this year and author of the Mundheim Report, indicated that none of the proposals suggested at the meeting were as yet sufficiently formulated to comment upon.

Henry M. Hart Jr. '26, Dane Professor of Law said that changes in the academic program would require from five to ten years to implement, even after the student-faculty committees began to work on them in earnest. "Changes would therefore not affect the current law school classes at all," Hart said.