Late Turco Goal Sinks Brown, 8-7

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Jack Turco flipped Dwight Ware's rebound over Bruin goalie Mark Burns at 3:33 of overtime play to cap an astounding four goal comeback as the Crimson eked out an 8-7 win over Brown Saturday at Providence.

Harvard, whose record is now 4-0, went into the contest a strong favorite, but the surprising Bruin sextet capitalized on Harvard's miscues in the first two periods to pull out into a seemingly comfortable two goal lead in the final period.

Dwight Ware

The Crimson fortunes dropped even lower when Dwight Ware went into the penalty box at 4:26 and Brown's defenseman Curt Bennett exploited the man advantage with a goal a minute later, giving the Bruins a healthy three goal lead.

Sophomore Dan DeMichele narrowed the gap with a score at 8:28, but Harvard's Chris Gurry tripped a Bruin four minutes later and went into the penalty box for two minutes.

Then, in the key play for Harvard, Chip Otness scooped up the puck at his own blue line, skated the length of the ice, and, after pulling Burns over to one side, fed Ware with a perfectly timed pass which Ware slid in on the left hand side of the ret.

At 15:19 DeMichele scored his second goal on a picture play to tie up the game at 7-7. Steve Owen recovered the puck in Harvard territory and passed it along the boards to center Joe Cavanagh. Cavanagh skated the puck into the zone and then passed it behind his back to DeMichele as he was being checked. DeMichele beat Burns cleanly on his shot.

Deciding Goal

Turco ended the scoring with his deciding goal, but he also had begun it in the first period--with a goal for Brown. While attempting to clear the puck, he hit a Crimson defenseman in front of the cage. The puck deflected off him and bounced into the net past a stunned Bruce Durno.

That set the style of play for the first two periods. Brown would intercept a Harvard clearing pass and go in to score. Harvard would retaliate with a goal of its own, but Brown always managed to keep two goals in front.

They led 3-2 after the first period in which George Murphy and Steve Owen had scored. The identical thing happened in the second period as Murphy and Cavanagh added two goals to Brown's three for a 6-4 score.

Bruca Durno, who played much better than Brown's seven goals indicated, had to face a breakaway by Bob Devaney and other clear scoring opportunities as the Crimson defense broke down.

"I thought we showed fight and perseverance to come back and win it," Coach Cooney Weiland said yesterday. "We weren't keyed up enough for this one and it taught us a lesson," he added.