Farnsworth Says 'It is Possible' He Asked for Bad Trip Reports

By Jeffrey D. Blum

Dr. Dana H. Farnsworth, head of the University Health Services, said yesterday that "it is entirely possible" that he asked colleagues to send him reports of patients who have had "unfortunate experiences in their use of marijuana."

The Dec. 6 issue of Mayday reports that Dr. Farnsworth recently requested that other doctors send him information "to aid in answering our critics who say we have no data that marijuana is harmful."

Dr. Farnsworth explained that he "couldn't say for sure" whether he made these comments, but he added that the statement attributed to him does have "some semblance of reality." He said that he definitely has not sent out any memorandum containing such a request.

'Helpful'

"I just don't know what they're driving at," Farnsworth said. "Of course, it would be helpful to know whether or not it's harmful," he added.

To explain his interest in investigating marijuana's diverse effects, he cited the research recorded in the American Journal of Psychiatry's September, 1968 Supplement. This supplement reports experimental studies of marijuana and the results of practicing physicians.

The research conclusions correlate heavy use of marijuana with certain adverse effects. It also reports the spontaneous recurrence of marijuana effect in some users.

'Part of Job'

"It's part of the job of anyone who is a doctor to know about an issue like this," Farnsworth said.

Mayday attributed the following statement to Farnsworth:

"It would be greatly appreciated if you would develop some case histories based on any experience you have had with patients who have had unfortunate experiences in their use of marijuana. These should be quite short, possibly one-half page or less, but should be changed to make absolutely certain that no individuals privacy is threatened.

"These case histories will serve several purposes, the two most important being to aid in answering our critics who say we have no data that marijuana is harmful and secondly for possible use with a National Institute of Mental Health committee which will outline the reasons for and against the legalization of marijuana."