Spengler, Nosal Pace Track Team As Crimson Humbles Eagles, 68-41

With dull efficiency Harvard's varsity track team rolled over Boston College 68-41 last night in a meet which marked the opening of the new "Bubble."

Led by double wins by sophomores Ed Nosal and Tom Spengler, the Crimson took the first event, the 35-pound weight throw, with a 57 foot toss by Nosal, and never lost their lead. Nosal also took first in the shot put with a mark of 57'6 1/2".

Easy Win

Spengler led Harvard sweeps in the mile and two-mile runs, taking first easily in both. His times were 4:16 for the mile and 9:25.6 for the two-mile run, as he beat juniors John Heyburn and Kieth Colburn to the tape in the mile and Colburn and junior Erik Roth in the two-mile.

The only real excitement in the meet (with the exception of sporadic announcements of the score of the Harvard-B.C. hockey game) was provided by junior Skip Hare in the broad jump. With only one jump left for all competitors, Hare led at 23'3". B.C.'s Dan Burke, however, toped this with a final jump of 23.5 1/2". Undaunted, Hare topped his previous best for Harvard by an inch as he soared 23'6", less than a foot short of Aggrey Awori's Harvard record.

Other winners for Harvard included senior Pete Lazarus, whose vault of thirteen feet could not be matched by any other competitor. Lazarus pushed his mark to fourteen feet in competition against himself, however, before failing at 14'6".

Sophomore John Gillis and junior Tom Downer placed first and second in the 600-yard run for the Crimson and also led Harvard's one mile relay to victory in a time of 3:28. Junior Jim Coleman won the high jump for the thinclads, tying his personal best of 6'6".

B.C. was saved from a worse rout by the absence of Dick Benka, Harvard's star weights man, and ace distance runners Royce Shaw and Dave Pottetti, Shaw was merely recuperating from his triple win against Army, while Benka, Pottetti, and others are out due to injuries and other complications. The Crimson has a layoff of a month as their next meet is against Northeastern on January 14.