Tankmen Romp to Third Win, 61-27, Over Brown in Non-League Contest

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity swimming team glided to its third victory of the season as the Crimson overwhelmed Brown, 61-27, in a non-league contest last night in the IAB.

As expected, the meet proved less than thrilling for the 59 spectators, as Harvard simply had too much for perennially weak Brown. Crimson coach Bill Brooks, in an effort to make the evening more bearable for the Bruins, used his top men sparingly. Steve Krause, who entered and won three events against Navy on Saturday, competed in only the 200-yard individual medley last night and took an embarrasingly easy first.

For the first time this season, the Crimson triumphed in both relays as Toby Gerhart sprinted away from Brown's anchorman in the 400-yard freestyle relay to turn a close race into a rout.

Individual victors for Harvard, in addition to Krause, were captain Martie Chalfie, Steve Lewers, Bob Hughes, Mike Cahalan won the freestyle events at 200 and 500 yards respectively, beating Brown's top man, Pete Czekanski, who was runner-up in both events.

Lewers vanquished Steve Thomas in the 50-yard free, while Bob Hughes won the 100-yarder in 53.2 Cummins and his opponent, highly-touted Mare Christman, were swimming a close race in the 200-yard breaststroke, but in the last 100 yards Cummins moved away from Christman to win handily 2:52.2.

Probably the easiest Crimson triumph was recorded by Dick Eisenberg, who was the only competitor in the one meter dive. Eisenberg performed well, nonetheless.

There were a few bright spots for Brown. Captain Vance Salter coasted to victory in the backstroke event and Cyrus Miller fought Harvard's Kirk Dolby to finally win in 2:17.4.

The Yardlings were equally successful as they romped, 63:31. Harvard swept the freestyles at 50,200, and 500 yards, and also took the top two places, in the dive, individual medley, and butterfly. Victors for the Crimson were Andy Huff, Paul Horyitz, Phil Johnson, Dan Kobick, Dave Sliver, and Bob Taylor.