Crimson Tops Brandeis In Hoop Opener, 92-78

By Richard D. Paisner

Two sophomores and two seniors helped make Bob Harrison's Harvard coaching debut a success by pacing his basketball team past Brandeis, 92-78, at the IAB Saturday.

Dale Dover, playing the outside point in Harrison's multi-faceted 1-2-2 offense, penetrated the Judges's defense for 27 points and got strong support from another rookie, Mike Janszewski (15 points) and veterans Eric Gustafson and Paul Waickowski (10 each).

Neither team played consistently crisp ball and early season kinks abounded, especially on defense. The officials called 60 personal fouls with three players from each team fouling out.

Harvard never trailed in the game. After a cold first minute, Dover dropped in the first of many ballet-like layups for a 2-0 lead. Nine minutes later, the Crimson led by only three, 20-17. Harrison then inserted Gustafson, the team's sixth man, into the lineup, and the 6-3 letterman sparked a burst which stretched the advantage to 10 points in less than two minutes.

Explosion

Dover initiated the explosion with a pair of foul shots, and then converted a fast break pass from Gustafson. Janszewski, a pleasant surprise for the fans with a soft jumper and accurate hook shots, followed with a turn-around 15-footer. Gustafson finished it off with a free throw, and the outcome was assured.

In the second half, Harvard was never able to mount the crushing attack Harrison wanted to see, but managed to keep the lead between 10 and 16 points the whole way, despite losing Dover, captain Bob Kanuth and Janszewski to fouls.

Brandeis coach K. C. Jones--the former Celtic great--got a few standout individual efforts, but did not have the depth to stay with Harvard. Steve Katzman, a senior from Brooklyn, N.Y., embarrassed Dover on defense in the second half, scoring 23 of his 25 points, mostly on medium-range jumpers.

Three other Judges scored in double figures: 6-11 Tom Haggerty, and juniors Fred Poneman and Tom August.

Pressure

Harrison's offense pressures the opposition. Saturday, most of the Harvard baskets came from within five feet of the basket on breaks, give-and-go's and rebound tip-ins.

Waickowski, who wasted his 82 inches of height for two years, showed improved agility under the basket and, with Kanuth, Bobby Johnson and Ernie Hardy, controlled the backboards sufficiently to win. Last year's leading rebounder, senior Chris Gallagher, lost a tooth during some rough action early in the game and played very little.