Five Hopes to Shatter Past Navy Domination

By Richard D. Paisner

Harvard has never beaten Navy in basketball, but tonight's clash at Annapolis could be a different story. The Middies open their season with only three returning lettermen, little proven rebounding strength and only one player of known competence.

For Bob Harrison's Crimson, in good physical shape after dumping Brandeis last Saturday, this will be an important game for several reasons.

10-Game Streak

First, Harvard would like to end Navy's ten-game winning streak in the brief series between the two schools. Second, Harrison wants to see better organization on the floor and, perhaps most important of all, hopes to cut down the number of fouls on defense.

Harvard's success may depend on its ability to contain the Middie star and captain, 6-3 forward John Tolmie. Last season, when Navy won nine of 20 games, Tolmie ranked 29th among the nation's scores with a 23-point average.

But Navy will have an equally difficult time trying to stop a varied Harvard attack. Sophomore Dale Dover led the Crimson last week against Brandeis with a 27-point barrage from the point position, but Mike Janszewski, Eric Gustafson, and Paul Waickowski balanced the scoring from the inside with 15, 10, and 10 points respectively.

Double-Team

At practice yesterday, Harrison indicated that he intends to double-team Tolmie when the senior has the ball, but to play a straight man-to-man the rest of the time.

Navy is not big. Tolmie is the leading returning rebounder, followed by a 6-1 forward named Scott Semko and a reserve center from last season, 6-5 Bill Parks.

In the game here last year, the Midshipmen built up a 48-31 halftime lead and then watched it disappear in the second half. Time ran out on Harvard, however, and Navy won 79-78.