Movies and Plays This Weekend

Barbarella--Roger Vadim's very public salute to Jane Fonda; more or less what you'd expect. At the CIRCLE, Cleveland Circle, Brookline (566-4040).

The Boston Strangler -- Believe your worst suspicions. At the MUSIC HALL, Tremont St. near Stuart (423-3300).

Coogan's Bluff--One of Donald Siegel's ("Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Madigan") finest films, its pleasantly mechanical script completely transcended by the honesty and directness of Siegel's style and a moral concern for the fate of his characters. Clint Eastwood is fabulous, and the Siegel stock company (Susan Clark, Don Stroud) again proves a group of Hollywood's most capable new actors. Marred only by an unfortunately pedestrian last 60 seconds. At the ORPHEUM, Washington St. (542-5557).

The Dove--See left. At the CHARLES CINEMA, 195 Cambridge St. (227-2832).

Faces--Played at a fever pitch with sustained dramatic intensity, John Cassavetes' attack on middle-class fun-and-games is nonetheless not a very good film. The camerawork is frenetic but uninventive and stifling, the sound poor, and the subject treated too superficially for its two-hour running time. Still, an emotional tour de force, with acting that occasionally approaches greatness. Starting next Wednesday at the CINEMA KENMORE SQ., in Kenmore Sq. (262-3700).

Finian's Rainbow -- A heavyhanded, poorly acted film version of the musical, with nothing but the splendid score and the magnificent Fred Astaire to recommend it. The director, Francis Fred Coppola, has a bad habit of chopping people's hands and feet off; stars Petula Clark and Tommy Steele ought to act their age. At the SAXON, Tremont and Stuart (542-4600).

Firemen's Ball and Oratorio for Prague--Two first rate, if lightweight, Czech films which run amuck. In Milos (Loves of a Blonde) Forman's comedy, the dramatic action edges toward the consequential and finally becomes downright grisly, with no let-up in the constant low-key joking. In Jan Nemec's documentary, reality gets out of hand as the appearance of Russian tanks drastically alter what had been intended as a cheerful film about the liberalized Dubcek regime. At the EXETER, Exeter St. between Commonwealth & Newbury (536-7067).

The Graduate--Mike Nichols' film about where Joe DiMaggio went. Too big for its britches. At the PARK SQUARE CINEMA, 31 St. James Ave. (542-2220). Flea in Her Ear--The Georges Feydeau farce, butchered in this Jacques Charon film. Rex Harrison, Rosemary Harris, Rachel Roberts and Louis Jourdan are stuck in it. At the CINEMA KENMORE SQUARE (262-3799).

Funny Girl--If you like Barbra Streisand, there is no getting around the fact that this movie works. The score, the screenplay, and even Omar Sharif are fine. The photography, on the other hand, is unfortunate, as is the editing. At the CHERI 2, Dalton St. in Prudential Center (536-2870).

Heart is a Lonely Hunter--Pretty weighty stuff from the Carson McCulers novel, with Alan Arkin as a sensitive deaf mute. At the SYMPHONY I, Huntington at Mass. Ave. (262-8837).

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush --Dirty without being erotic, vulgar without being exuberant. In a word, embarrassing. At the BRATTLE (864-4226) through Saturday.

Hot Millions--Peter Ustinov and Maggie Smith are just fine in this gentle suspense-comedy written by Ustinov and Ira Wallach. At the ASTOR, Tremont St. near Boylston (542-5030).

In the Heat of the Night--Norman Jewison contemplates race relations, aided by Stirling Silliphant's teleplay and Sidney Poitier's smile. At the PARAMOUNT, Washington St., Boston (482-4820).

Lady in Cement--Frank Sinatra in a film that should have been buried in cement. At the CHERI I, Dalton St. in Prudential Center (536-2870).

The Lion in Winter--Pretension unleashed, most notably that of Anthony Harvey, the director, who seems bent on doing everything as conspicuously as he can. Neither Peter O'Toole nor Katharine Hepburn gives much of a performance in this cumbersomely filmed version of James Goldman's play, which was unconvincing to start with. At the PARIS CINEMA, 841 Boylston (267-8181).

Loves of Ondine--Warhol. At the CINEMA KENMORE SQ. (262-3700) through Tuesday.

The Man from Rio--The incomparable Jean-Paul Belmondo becomes the first screen hero ever to kick a bad guy in the groin. If you like slapstick and involved plots, hop to it. At the SYMPHONY I, Huntington at Mass. Ave. (262-8837).

Negatives--A ponderous and pretentious excursion into illusion-reality land, starring three ugly people, one of whom was much better in "Marat-Sade" and featuring a soundtrack consisting almost entirely of ominous clicking, gratuitous screaming, and much too much crumpling of polyethelyne. This way madness lies. At the CHARLES CINEMA, 195 Cambridge St. (227-2832).

Never on Sunday--The movie version of "Illya Darling." At the BRATTLE (876-4226) starting Sunday.

Paper Lion--In which Alan Alda gives a moving performance as George Plympton. At the FRESH POND CINEMA in Fresh Pond (547-8800).

The Queen--Transvestism meets cinema verite. At the HARVARD SQ. (864-4580).

Romeo and Juliet--Although Franco Zeffirelli's teen-age treatment of Shakespeare's situation tragedy may be somewhat free-wheeling for all tastes, sentimentalists will eat up every second. Olivia Hussey's reading of Juliet proves a truly right interpretation of the part. At the ABBEY, 600 Commonwealth Ave. (262-1303).

Star--Despite wonderful music, ranging from Kurt Weill to Cole Porter, an aimless, fruitless movie. The theatrical history, however, is fun, and Julie Andrews and Daniel Massey are likewise as Gertrude Lawrence and Noel Coward. At the GARY, 131 Stuart (542-7040).

The Thomas Crown Affair--In which Norman Jewison, having tackled a variety of earth-shaking themes, takes a vacation. At the PARAMOUNT, Washington St., Boston (482-4820).

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg--The first of the new French musicals. At the HARVARD SQ. (864-4580).

2001--Stanley Kubrick's epic of human advancement, externally motivated. The special effects must be seen, and can best be seen from the first five rows. At the CINERAMA, Washington Street near Essex (482-4515).

West Side Story--Much, much worse than the show. Badly dubbed and drippily sung, but funny in places. At the SAVOY, 163 Tremont (536-2120).

Yellow Submarine--A good cartoon about the Beatles not to be confused either with The Road Runner or Joyce's Ulysses. The drawing leans overly on contemporary advertising art, but the 85 minutes are provocative and occasionally moving. At the BEACON HILL, Tremont between Beacon St. & ovt. Center (227-6676)