'72 Radicals Vie For H U C Seats

A group of five freshmen is running as a slate for positions on the Harvard Undergraduate Council in an effort to unite the freshman class behind various radical demands for change.

The Class of '72 will choose among 12 candidates for its five representatives to the HUC in proctorial meetings Wednesday night. This is the first year that HUC delegates have been selected by direct student vote. In the past the Freshman Council appointed freshman representatives.

Backs Afro

The group, which calls itself the Student Initiative Coalition, supports the Afro-American Association of Students' demand for a Department of Afro-American Studies and an increase in the number of black professors. The coalition also calls for "immediate reform or abolition" of the present grading system.

Complaints

Among other complaints which the group wants to raise are parietals, physical training, and compulsory expository writing for freshmen and sexual segregation of the Freshman Union. Imposition of these requirements by the administration, they state in their platform, "cannot be justified without student approval."

Hits HUC

The group's platform criticizes the HUC for having failed "to command power or bring about meaningful change." The Council "needs an initiative for power," the platform states, which the freshman class is in the "unique position to provide."

The coalition includes Stephen J. Ellman, Emile Godfrey, Richard Zorza, Chad K. McDaniel, and Michael I. Smith. All five will be listed individually, rather than as a slate, on Wednesday's ballot because of a ruling by the Freshman Council.