Squashmen Bash Big Red's Squad

Harvard's varsity squash team romped to a 9-0 victory over Cornell last Saturday, sweeping 30 individual games while the Big Red managed to win only five games.

The Crimson wasted little time in beginning the rout as number nine man, Jaime Gonzales thrashed his Cornell opponent, 15-4, 15-3, and 15-4. From then on it got worse for the Big Red.

Cornell's strongest challenge came from its second and third men, two positions where Harvard coach Jack Barnaby feels the Crimson must do well to have a successful season. But Harvard's Michel Schienmann and Fernando Gonzales came from behind to win.

Schienmann, playing number two in the absence of Larry Terrell, who was competing in an outside tournament, had to come back after being down 2-1 in games. He convincingly defeated his opponent in the final two games, however, winning finally, 7-15, 15-11, 14-15, 15-8, and 15-7.

Gonzales relied on his superior poise and finesse to beat his more powerful man at number three.

Captain Anil Nayer surprised the Big Red fans as he dropped his first game to their number one man, Bill St. John, but he went on to win in four games, pouring it on and stopping St. John, 15-3,