Harvard Resistance Leaders Organize New Draft Co-ord inating Committee

A group of draft resistance leaders in the Harvard community has organized a draft co-ordinating committee called the Harvard Draft Project.

The purpose of the new committee, according to Mark R. Dyen '70, head of the SDS Draft Project and one of the committee's organizers, is to unite all Harvard students who oppose the draft. The committee also intends to provide draft counselling and education about draft laws, he said yesterday.

A recent poll of Harvard seniors, organized by Stephen Lerner '68, a senior editor of the CRIMSON, indicated that almost 25% of the senior class intends to resist induction.

Poll Encouraged

"Lerner's articles encouraged us," said Dyen, "but the idea of a coordinat-committee originated before that. The Resistance and the SDS Draft Project started talking about it seriously over intersession, he said.

As a follow-up to the CRIMSON's poll, the Harvard Draft Project intends to canvass all seniors and first year graduate students at Harvard to determine their views on the draft.

"Lerner's article showed that many Harvard students do not wish to be drafted to serve in the Vietnam War, but at the present time they see no other alternative" Paul C. Garver, a Harvard graduate students and another of the committee's organizers, said yesterday.

"The educational activities of the Draft Project will be directed to helping students find ways of fighting the draft," Garver said.

Anti-Draft Union

He emphasized that the Harvard Draft Project "was organized by individuals, not by political groups. However, members of the Resistance, SDS, the Boston Draft Resistance, the Graduate Student Organizing Committee, and some unaffiliated students compose the committee's organizing forces," he added.

At their next meeting, the organizers of the Harvard Draft Project will consider the possible formation of an Anti-Draft Union. The Union would invite all students who plan any form of resistance or who support those who plan to resist to join their organization.